VMware Cloud Community
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vApp external IP's not being retained

When deploying a vApp I want to keep the external IP that it gets deployed with but that does not seem to be working.  Checking the box "Always use assigned IP address until this vApp or assoicated networks are deleted." does nothing.

Here are the steps I use to reproduce the problem

Check out vApp test

Check box set to always use assigned IP address until this vapp or assoicated networks are deleted

Power on vApp

External IP = 1.2.3.4

Power off vApp

Power on vApp

External IP = 1.2.3.5

No mater what I have tried I can't seem to get the vApp to keep it's IP after a power off/power on.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
denovojeff
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently out of the office on vacation, returning on June 15.

Please escalate urgent issues through the Service Desk or Jill Wilson.

Thank you,

Jeff

0 Kudos
guitzer
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Sender:

I will be out of office returning by Monday 11th. Please expect delays in your email responding.

Regards

GR

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

That's awesome that so many people are out of the office and letting the whole world know about it. Glad I have that tactical information. Now I can sleep at night.

Anyway, just to clarify, you want to retain the NAT external IPs of your VMs? That isn't possible in VCD 1.5. It's something we're working on fixing in a later release.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Actually one correction, you can edit the NAT rule and change the external IP mapping from automatic to manual, and in that case, it will always have the same external IP. That's a workaround

0 Kudos
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well that's too bad.  When does it work?  If it doesn't work with vApp nat-routed network will it only work with an org network?  This has been extremely frustraing, same problem from back in the lab manager days.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

You can use the workaround to get what you want (use manual nat-mapping instead of auto).

Fixing the issue with automatic NAT mapping will be fixed in an upcoming release

0 Kudos
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem with manual is that it does not pull from the pool so it would be a manual operation for each vApp that is powered on, requrining documentation and then after the vApp is destroyed someone would have to update documentation to say that IP is now available.  With vApp's being powered on, off and destroyed constantly I don't think that is a viable workaround. 

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Ok so you can create a NAT rule with automatic assignment, power on the vApp so that the IP gets assigned, and then change the NAT rule from automatic to manual and keep the same IP address that was assigned

0 Kudos