VMware Cloud Community
tivs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vApp/VM deploy flow in vCloud Director

Hi,

I am trying to understand why VCD need to communicate to vCenter for  each VM deployment?

example:- If my vcenter is down, i am unable to deploy the VM's from VCD.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we communicate to the vCenter to perform all the orchestration.

also your distributed switching is controlled/configured there.

we don't want to perform actions on a per host level, as that will cause anomolies in vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we communicate to the vCenter to perform all the orchestration.

also your distributed switching is controlled/configured there.

we don't want to perform actions on a per host level, as that will cause anomolies in vCenter.

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

tivs wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to understand why VCD need to communicate to vCenter for  each VM deployment?

example:- If my vcenter is down, i am unable to deploy the VM's from VCD.

vCloud Director is not a virtualization management/hypervisor, vCloud Director only Cloud Management tools. The idea of vCloud Director is to abstract the layer of vCenter (virtualization layer) to be the web-interfaces and components. It's not handle on the power-on/deployment for the VMs.

Every VMs action or deployment from VCD will be pass to the vCenter for the integration. That the reason why VCD need vCenter and hypervisor to run on it. If you VCD down, you still able to use the VM because it was running on the Hypervisor layer. but If you vCenter down, you not able to deploy due to vCenter is distribute all the configuration you made on VCD to the hypervisor layer. There had dependency of each other, including your vShield Manager.

just my one cents.

Thanks!

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer