VMware Cloud Community
roneng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

transfer storage question

I have 2 cells in a cluster.

They are configured with local volumes for the transfer storage.

I want to move them to use shared nfs volume.

How do i do that? i understand that just mounting the volume will cause the service to fail.

so what actions do i need to do in order to fix that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The transfer space

/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/data/transfer

should only contain items that are for current transfers.  If you know all transfers are stopped then the files in the location should have been removed by vcd (but sometimes they are not) - if you shutdown each cell gracefully then the files are just leftovers as I understand.

If you want to be a little safe...

After shutdown of a cell, you could rename the current transfer director to /data/transferOld  or something and setup a new one for the NFS.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
denovojeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will be on vacation through 4/1, returning on Monday 4/2.

Please escalate urgent issues through the Service Desk or Jill Fraser.

Thank you,

Jeff

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here is that we did:

On each cell:

add line to mount /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/data/transfer  in /etc/fstab

use cell-managment-tool  to shutdown each cell gracefully

then reboot

If all is right the nfs column should now be mounted at the transfer location.  Just keep in mind that the NFS should have no_root_squash on or it can be a pain to troubleshoot issues later.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
roneng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks

but do you think i can ignore all the files and directories that are on each cell now?

and start a clean new shared volume?

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The transfer space

/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/data/transfer

should only contain items that are for current transfers.  If you know all transfers are stopped then the files in the location should have been removed by vcd (but sometimes they are not) - if you shutdown each cell gracefully then the files are just leftovers as I understand.

If you want to be a little safe...

After shutdown of a cell, you could rename the current transfer director to /data/transferOld  or something and setup a new one for the NFS.

0 Kudos