VMware Cloud Community
cmegroz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

storage vMotion for a VM on vCD

Hello,

I saw that datastore cluster is not yet supported but is it possible to do a storage vmotion, of a VM managed by vCloud Director, on the same vDC datastore ?

Imagine that I present 2 datastore to the vDC Provider, can I move the VM between the two datastore ?

Thanks for your answer.

Cédric

0 Kudos
1 Solution
7 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

yes, you can if both datastores on same Provider VDC.

0 Kudos
bparlier
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Being aware that sDRS is not supported today, storage vmotions are supported as long as the resources are available on both sides. 

kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

from what I understood, a Storage vMotion must be done through the HTTP REST APIs for vCloud.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no REST vCD API for a storage vMotion that I know of.  It needs to be done through vSphere but as stated only if the two datastores are part of the same Provider vDC.

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i was reading the documentation incorrectly. Storage vMotion for linked clones should only be invoked through the REST API Relocate_VM.

lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion is actually possible using the vCloud REST API using the "Relocate" operation not to be confused with the vSphere Storage vMotion operation "RelocateVM_Task". This operation is only available via the API and not through the vCloud UI

I recently wrote two blog articles showing how this works using both the vCloud REST API directly or using a vCO workflow + vCD plugin:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/02/performing-storage-vmotion-in-vcloud.html
http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/02/performing-storage-vmotion-in-vcloud_19.html

The "Storage vMotion" version in vCD will automatically handle shadowVM re-creation if you are using fast provisioning which the vSphere Storage vMotion is not aware of.

0 Kudos