VMware Cloud Community
stan12345
Contributor
Contributor

share subnet between two different organizations

hello is it possible to share the same public range between two different organizational external networks. They need not talk to each other. I have been assigned a public network from our IT department. I am using vcloud 5.1.1

I would assign to external network

org A would use 10.0.0 1 - 10.0.0 220

org B would use 10.0.0.221 - 10.0.0.254

Currently org A contains the entire range. Since they have same gateway, will it affect operation of vcloud, vapps, vshield or the edge gateway?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chrigoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Stan

I think this is possible without any constraints.

As long as both networks will be on the same VLAN, they can easily talk to each other.

But maybe check after the deployment if the two Edge gateways get different IPs. We have many orgs with the same external network and therefore the same gateway and IP range, but are not using any Edges for the External networks.

cfor
Expert
Expert

Just to put this out in case others have the same request (please let vmware know) -- it would be nice if we could point to an IP pool and share the IP's cross orgs and org vdc's.  Rather than having to reserve IP's in blocks, possibly wasting good ip space.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Chrigoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@cfor

This is actually already possible.

We have set up such an environment and it works great.

We have one External Network called "External V520 VMS-Net" which has an IP Range of 6000 addresses (255.255.224.0).

This external network is used by all our Orgs and Org VDCs (8 in total) as type "Direct connected", so all 8 Orgs share this same Pool of 6000 addresses. So independent of in which Org you deploy a new machine connected to this network, it always takes the next available IP of the Pool.

VM1     in Org1     10.70.162.10

VM2     in Org2     10.70.162.11

VM3     in Org1     10.70.162.13

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

Sorry I was not a little more detailed.  I forgot to include the part where it needs to cross providers / vcenters.  [Today a single external network can only exist on one provider, that was the root of my feature - but reading it again I was not clear]

Example;

We have 10 vCenters, and have to allocate 80k IPv4's for the system when only 40k are ever used.  We have to do this because each vCenter could spike and need 8k by itself, but in total no more than 40k are really ever needed.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
stan12345
Contributor
Contributor

thanks I do have 2 separate vcenters/ provider vdc/vshield etc so I guess I will divide this public ip range into 2

0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In this case you have to route two different subnet IP address.

Take care!

0 Kudos