VMware Cloud Community
btmicro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Virtual Machine is on a Datastore not managed by vCloud Director"

When deploying new VMs in vCD 1.5 we are seeing system alerts on all of the deployed VMs that say "Virtual Machine is on a datastore not managed by vCloud Director.  Virtual Machine has mounted media or disk on a datastore not managed by vCloud Director.  Ensure that the Virtual Machine has all mounted media and disks on a datastore managed by vCloud Director."

The VMs in the catalog were imported from vCenter and have a single disk and no media mounted.  The storage is the same that the new VMs are being deployed to.  The VMs power on fine and appear to be ok, but they are all showing this system alert, 3 different catalog sources.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
francoisloiseau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed, this is the issue.

I used SSD on local disks for VM vswap. I configured it on Cluster (cluster vswap policy in vSphere) and I got this error message.

I configured the Cluster vswap policy to use the same directory as the VM, and I use the new ESXi5 "Host cache" feature to use my local SSD disks.

It fixed it.

For you issue, just configure the cluster vswap policy to store the vswap with the VM (on the same storage seen by vCD) or add the nfs storage to the vCD and it will fix your issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
btmicro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We use a shared NFS for swap - could that be the issue?  Wasn't an issue with 4.1 and vCD 1.0.1, but I noticed vSphere 5 lists the swap file datastore on all of the VMs.

0 Kudos
francoisloiseau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed, this is the issue.

I used SSD on local disks for VM vswap. I configured it on Cluster (cluster vswap policy in vSphere) and I got this error message.

I configured the Cluster vswap policy to use the same directory as the VM, and I use the new ESXi5 "Host cache" feature to use my local SSD disks.

It fixed it.

For you issue, just configure the cluster vswap policy to store the vswap with the VM (on the same storage seen by vCD) or add the nfs storage to the vCD and it will fix your issue.

0 Kudos
btmicro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for confirming - I changed the the cluster setting to store swap in the VM Directory and indeed the System Alerts cleared on VM reboot.  That is a little frustrating that they changed the hardware configuration on the VMs to catalog the swap resource, hopefully it will be corrected in a future release.

0 Kudos