VMware Cloud Community
BeliyAV
Contributor
Contributor

"Partially Powered Off" state VM in vCD 5.1.2

Hello,

I noticed than when i shutdown VM from Guset OS, VM have "Partially Powered Off" state. And i can Power Off VM from Right-click menu.

I think than this problem begin after update vCD to 5.1.2 version.

Why does it's happen?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

The quick reason is the edge device is still connected to the VM.  The backing operation "undeploy" will remove this configuration and truly shutdown the VM.  It might be ok to leave the VM's in the partially powered down state depending on what you are doing.  The VM's are stopped, it is just the network edge device has not been told to remove the references.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
BeliyAV
Contributor
Contributor

cfor, thank you.

It's problem in 5.1.2 version and i can't fix this?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Just from personal experience, this typically means that someone shut off the VM from inside the Guest OS instead of from the vCloud Power commands (right click menu).  That's probably the easiest way to duplicate the message.

Partially deployed is because some VMs are still powered on or the VSE is still deployed (vApp deployed) but a VM is not deployed.

There are some other more corner cases for the scenarios too.

0 Kudos
BeliyAV
Contributor
Contributor

his typically means that someone shut off the VM from inside the Guest OS instead of from the vCloud Power commands (right click menu).

Yes, i shutdown VM from guest OS, because if i click "Power Off" in right-click menu than VM shutdowning not graceful.

>Partially deployed is because some VMs are still powered on or the VSE is still deployed (vApp deployed) but a VM is not deployed.

Yes, i noticed than if VM not connect to network than OK.

>Partially deployed is because some VMs are still powered

if i understand you right - I create new vApp with one VM and connect VM to Routed network, shutdown from guest os  - Partially Powered Off

>the VSE is still deployed (vApp deployed) but a VM is not deployed.

can you tell more about this, please?

i don't understand how i can fix this problem...

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

This isn't a "problem" or "error" state.  The messages you have is just a description of the current status of the VM, given the steps leading up to this.

In future versions, you will have the option to Guest Shut Down vs Power Off.  That'll take care of the bigger issue here.

"can you tell more about this, please?"

Power of each VM inside of the vApp, but don't power off the vApp itself.  Each object has it's own power state recorded in the vCloud Director database.

0 Kudos