VMware Cloud Community
GregRoberts2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ovftool -diskmode IMPORT to vCD context

Hi

I did a search and could not find a forum for the ovftool so decided to place here.

a) I was looking for an explaination of the various  diskmodes? The help just has this
. I can guess but want to be sure.

-dm/--diskMode               : Select target disk format. Supported formats

are: monolithicSparse, monolithicFlat,

twoGbMaxExtentSparse, twoGbMaxExtentFlat,

seSparse (VI target), eagerZeroedThick (VI

target), thin (VI target), thick (VI target),

sparse, and flat

Now nothing is as it seems, when i did a trial of twoGbMaxExtentSparse mode it produced the same exact result as a thin mode.

I was expecting to see 2G chucks. Even the "thick" produced the same size vmdk so it does not seem to make any diffrence what

-dm=<xxx> is set to ? Makes no sense.

b) When you IMPORT an OVF into vCD catalog, does it matter if the catalog is think or thin or is this a mute point because you don't get this option for the catalog ?

c) Is there a table / document that highlights the various outcomes of a thin / thick - fast / full_clone deployment of catalog VMs with respect to the format in the catalog ? e.g. a catalog vm which is stored thin is deployed to a thick storage area, this is taken care of

If on the other hand the catalog is stored thick, is the deployment to a thin storage area taken care of, it deploys thin ?
(i am struggling to understand where the limitations are at deploy time)

Thnaks in advance !

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

This setting is basically ignored. Disks are uploaded in stream-optimized format. The rest is controlled by VCD - specifically by settings on OrgVdc where you can set "Enable thin provisioning".

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */