VMware Cloud Community
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

new vCD8 installation

Hi.

I have a centos vm for a first vCD 8 cell. Installation went through fine up to running configure. i stopped, setup and supplied an NFS mount and then carried on with configure script. I have a Micrsoft SQL 2008 R2 database setup correctly to which i have local account and verified access via ODBC connector with no problem.

After running ./Configure I connect to the database on the default instance with a local SQL account, it runs and i can see the logs making changes to the database. However it eventually stops doing that and times out and provides an error "Error while communicating with the database: I/O Error: Connection timed out."

no connection errors are showing on the SQL server or other erros in event log that I can see. the database is getting values inserted by the ./Configure script for vCloud Director 8 however the logs report it stopping at the same place each time.

last line in the log [/logs/vcloud-container-debug.log] is always;

"INSERT INTO config (cat, name, value, sortorder) VALUES ('vcloud', 'storageProfile.spsRequestQueueSize', '500', 0);' |"

anybody run into this previously that could throw me some valueable hints on what to look at/try next?

Cheers

Jaffa.

5 Replies
QuincySanders
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jeffanz, did you prepare your sql server as outlined in kb2034540 ? If so, I would scap the db and try and/or redeploy the SQL server.

jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi QuincySanders.

thanks for that information i'll follow that KB and see how it goes 😃

Jaffa

0 Kudos
QuincySanders
Contributor
Contributor

jaffanz, ironically enough, I picked up where I left off on an vCD8 nested install and I ran into this exact same issue. In this case, the windows firewall was running on the SQL server, which I disabled and this problem went a way. Be mindful of that as well.

jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi QuincySanders. i followed that article so that the db, config, and account permissions were sweet as. still no good. I've decided to put sql server 2012 on the server 2012 instead of sql server 2008 r2sp3. i'll try it all again and see if get any improvement.

0 Kudos
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi.

i ditched the SQL Server 2k8r2 sp on Server 2012 and performed the most basic of SQL Server 2k12 on Server 2k12. created the db and ran the ./configure. It worked first time properly. it'll have to remain a mystery but it maybe as simple as start with the latest and patch and troubleshoot that lol.

thanks for the assist. much appreciated.

0 Kudos