VMware Cloud Community
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

networking and security version

I see that if I buy vcloud suite I have vcloud networking and security standard or advanced. It depends by the vcloud suite version .

But if I buy Vcloud director, which is the  vcloud networking and security version I have included?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert

None.  You have to buy it separately.  We had Lab Manager before and had to upgrade to VCD (pre suite version) and this was one of our major gripes with VMware.

Eric

VCP5-DV twitter - @ericblee6 blog - http://vEric.me
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

If you are getting the 5.1 product set, the vCloud Suite license key will unlock vCloud Director, ESXi, and vCloud Network/Security (vShield).  So, one key will work for all.

In the older versions of vCloud Director, like 1.0 and 1.5, there was a 'vShield Free' version that was included with vCloud Director ... this was to support the required basic parts of vShield to make Edge Firewalls/NATs

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks IamTHEvilONE.

And if I buy just the standalone  vcloud director 5.1 (not the vcloud suite) I do not have any vshield feature? How can I use vcloud without edge ?

0 Kudos
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert

To add a vCenter to VCD you have to have a "vShield Manager" deployed and configured first.  Not sure about this 'vShield Free' as I know we had to buy one license to convert from LM to VCD back in 1.X but I trust the moderator on this at this point.  We have upgraded to vCloud Suite and VCNS is included at this point.  You also get some other tools that are very nice to use as well.

VCP5-DV twitter - @ericblee6 blog - http://vEric.me
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

vmb01 ... at this point, you should talk to your sales team to validate EXACTLY what is required.  If you deploy vCenter 5.1 + vCloud Suite .... you'll probably be fine.  If you buy vCloud Director separately, it's just a license pack for it (afaik).

So there were a lot of changes as things went along.

vCloud 1.0 paired with vCenter 4.1 release time frame.  So there were two singular keys for vCloud and vShield respectively.  I use the term vShield 'free' loosely, as I think it was technically called 'vShield Basic License'.  Also, vCloud didn't support things like VPN and load balancer ... so this was not included in this basic/free license.

vCloud 1.5 paired with the vCenter 5.0 release, and kept the same license setup as the prior version.

Then comes along vCloud 5.1 with vSphere 5.1 ... where the new license structure was introduced, where one key could unlock many products.  This is very handy, as the 'vCloud Suite' key will unlock vCloud, vShield, ESXi, etc, etc ... assuming you are using vCenter 5.1 (which has a dedicated key vs the one for many products).

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the vcloud director features web page I read:

Integrated technologies such as perimeter protection, port-level firewall, and NAT and DHCP services, offer virtualization-aware security, simplify application deployment and enforce boundaries required by compliance standards. Upgrading to the full vCloud Networking and Security offerings adds advanced services such as VXLAN, VPN, firewall high availability, network isolation, and web load balancing.

I guess that with vcloud director I have a sort of vCloud Networking and Security basic with just firewall, nat and dhcp and I can upgrade it to a standard or advanced version to have more features.

Now it make sense to me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

If you have the answers you need, please mark a response as correct in this forum.  In the new community forum, it will associate the "correct" post to the original ... so people don't have to search the entire thread.

0 Kudos
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As soon I have a confirmation from the sales, I'll mark the correct answer

0 Kudos