VMware Cloud Community
JonathanG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nested vCloud?

I know that ESXi can be nested. i,e, a virtual ESXi server hosted on a physical ESXi server.

What about vCloud Director 5.1. Can a virtual vCloud be hosted on a phuysical vCloud?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dvnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you can.  They were spinning up and bringing down vCloud instances for the VMworld labs.

0 Kudos
PeterBlatherwic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curios. 

What is the use case here to nest vCloud within another vCloud??  I can see putting up a vCloud service based on someone else's vCloud based hosted IaaS.  Is this related to that, or some other use case?

I had a previous query here about nesting vCD Organizations within other Organizations, eg. Company X Cloud billing within finance, or development project z within r&d.  Hierachy of Org Cloud/vDC management .  Wondering if this is a related idea. 

-- PeterB

PS: Curiosity only kills cats ...  Right?!  ;^)

0 Kudos
JonathanG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@dnguyen - I staffed the vmworld labs, there was lots of downtime so not sure that is a valid use case, but I accept that "it works".

@PeterB - use case is a public cloud where I have no control over the infrastructure but would like to host a vCloud with my app to demo it to customers

0 Kudos
shepherdz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes; deploying a vCloud Director cell through a separate vCloud Director instance is fundamentally no different than running your cells as virtual machines directly through ESXi (as VMs running "in vCloud" aren't really running inside of it; they're just running on the hosts managed by it).

(Fun fact: That's actually how we -- the development team -- deployed some of our development resources; I deployed most of my 5.1 development/testing systems on top of an internal cloud running 1.5.1.)

Zach Shepherd, Member of Technical Staff, VMware vCloud Director Engineering
0 Kudos