VMware Cloud Community
stan12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

exporting vcloud templates

Hello,

I am running vcloud 5.1.1.

I have a 550 GB Vapp template that I wish to export to Vcenter as vmx and vmdk file to use outside of Vcloud.

The size of my transfer storage on vcloud server is only 100GB. Does vcloud use this transfer storage to export to vcenter as well?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

It should be better to use ovftool for that purpose. It supports both vCloud and vCenter locators, see https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/ovf/ovf301/ovftool-301-userguide.pdf.

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

It should be better to use ovftool for that purpose. It supports both vCloud and vCenter locators, see https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/ovf/ovf301/ovftool-301-userguide.pdf.

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */
0 Kudos
stan12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also for anyone else reading this, you do not need 550GB in transfer for the ovf - what you need is the final OVF size.  It will be less that the full VM size and OVF's have some runlength compression.  However I am not sure if 100G will cut it.  (depends on your datasize)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
stan12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I may have mmisunderstood. So does the ovf tool use the vcloud transfer directory as well? even if I transport directly to vsphere? are there any export tools that can transfer vcloud vapp directly to vcenter on the SAN? 

0 Kudos
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

ovftool does not have or use any spool area. Unlike vCloud's Transfer Service, it only does streaming and this is by design. So, no additional space is required.

/Andrii