VMware Cloud Community
stan12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

consolidate disk in vcloud

Hi -  in vcloud 5.1, I'm looking to consolidate a VM in a vapp. If I consolidate a VM, does it affect prior VMs and vapps ? For example, is Vapp A is saved as Catalog A, and then cloned as Vapp B. If I consolidate the vms of Vapp B, does this affect Vapp A or Catalog A? Can Vapp A have running VMs while I do this consolidate? I don't know if there is an issue there if they are sharing disks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes.  As long as your storage can handle the read/write load increase all should be good.  (Very rare this is an issue)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The consolidate operation only modifies the current VM.  What is does is reads all the partial disks (linked clone disks) and makes a new disk with all the data.  If other VM's are linked or in catalogs downstream they do not change.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
stan12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok thanks cfor, so just wanted to confirm, I can have vapps that use this same base disk running at the same time as the consolidation.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes.  As long as your storage can handle the read/write load increase all should be good.  (Very rare this is an issue)

0 Kudos