VMware Cloud Community
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

basic question regarding vApp

after i configured and installed my vCloud Director, I created a vm template. 

I deployed a vm with 2 network cards. One to external and one to internal. The external i specified to use a pool of .131 - .135

however, when i log onto the vm itself via console it select .100 . Right clicking on IP allocationns for the external network it shows .131 allocated to that vm.  What should really be happening.

On the second internal nic the os shows it as 'disabled" .. not sure why. Also, the os has a different host name then i assigned it in vcloud.

if someone can help set me straight, appreciate it. thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can export it fro vCloud director.  Right click the VM and click download.  It will save it as an OVF.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am not sure I know what is going on... however I am wondering about your configuration.

Why did you se two nics for the VM's do they need it or just trying to get something to work.

Suggestion for first TWO vApp's to test and make sure networking is working:

vApp One:  (Just to make sure basic network is working)

One system (suggest windows 2008 as it is easy for vmware to configure once tools are installed)

One Nic

Network setup to be external network directly.

vApp Two:  (To test internal network + NAT)

Two systems (suggest windows 2008 as it is easy for vmware to configure once tools are installed)

One Nic on each system

Internal network created, and set to NAT (no firewall) to your external network.

* Once the system comes up the vm's should have the internal IP's, however you should be able to connect from OUTSIDE the vapp to the external ip's.  (Inside the vapp you must use the internal IP's for everything)

Hope this helps some, if you ahve any questions just ask away.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok, will test now . thank you

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sounds like guest customization is not enabled or not working. Check to make sure guest customization is enabled in the VM properties.

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok, i tried the first option and i can't ping it. I then cloned it out of vcd and it still doesn't work.

i then created a new vm using same template and verything works .. so now i don't know if vcd puts something hidden which breaks it ! 

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your Provider Network should be on a VLAN.

And your Organization network should link to that provider network correct.

Also for isolation you need 2 VLAN min. total (if using VCNI)

Just looking to see if anything jumps out as the obvious issue.

VCD will spawn up edge applicances (do you have vSheild Manager up and running and able to ctalk to the VCD server?) - however these applicance should only be needed when fencing or private vapp netowkrs are created. - The first test should haev NO vApp networks at all, just the hosts directly connected to the org network.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok thank you will test. i am going to start building the vm from scratch and will let you know. thanks much 

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i tested test 1 and still doesn't work. I moved it out of vcloud - by migrating it to servers outside of the cloud and still doesn't work.

however when using the template that i created it with, it works outside of vcloud. wondering if vcloud does anything to the os that makes it not pingable .. 

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i would like to keep the vm that was created and "unmange" it from vcloud and see if that is the issue. do you know how ? 

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IN addition you can power on the VM's and "Force Re-customization".  That should have happened on the first power on from the vApp.  There is also the chance that VLAN's are mis-configured.  I have set this up multiple times and never seen an issue with the allocation of the IP ranges, but not knowing the external and internal network configs it is hard to tell.  There is a lot of variables, but deploying one vApp from template to each network is the first step.  Isolate the issue on each one individually.

Also a silly quesion but if these are windows VM's is the firewall enabled?  That will prevent some ping tests inboud to the VM's but shold still allow ping outbound.  Frankly is sounds like a combination of things, and vCD does not inject anything to break networking.  It simply assigns IP addresses and vSphere comands to change port groups.  So there could be something also mis-configured on the VLAN's trunked into the hosts.  50% of the time the issue is vCD and the other 50% there is something in vSphere.  You have to troubleshoot all ends of the stack for sure.

Post some screen shots of your configs and VLAN trunks etc, there is just not enough information to go off of.  When properly configured I know everything works.  Also ensure that the tools are the version matched to the hosts managed by vCD as well and not a slightly older version.  The tools control the IP allocation assignments on customization.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can export it fro vCloud director.  Right click the VM and click download.  It will save it as an OVF.

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

using vcloud director,  , my cloud, VM's . right-click on vm - i do not see a download button.

i see, power on, isnser cd/dvd from cat .. etc - am i looking the wrong place ?

0 Kudos
sunvmman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if I create a vm on the same exact vswitch i use for vcloud , the vm runs fine. So it can't be any vlan, or other issue like that.

so i have a server, with a vds switch to my network 30.80.50.* if i use same vswitch the vm created and correctly assigned ip using vcloud doesn't work however if i create the same vm just manually using the same template it works.

not sure where to go from here. 

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

download is at the vApp level not the VM level.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the subnet mask on the IP pool correct?  Can you set to the IP allocation to "Manual" and assign it?  It is going to be something very simple as in over 50 installs I have not had one issue that was not related to IP address, subnet mask, VLAN, or vShield Edge rules.  If it works ourside vCD then something is not configured right.

0 Kudos