VMware Cloud Community
mstevens492
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a few questions about vcloud

I have a few questions about vcloud.  We currently use labmanager and are in the process of testing vcloud to see how we can apply it to our environment.  The current labmanager serves the following purpose:

-create dev and QA "environments" (configurations) which are copies of production servers so that changes can be tested

-the environments all deploy from templates that are clones of production servers that we update as needed

-we have several "database" templates that we refresh from production as needed in order to provide a current scrubbed version of the production database for use in these environments

-the VMs in the environments are able to talk to each other using their "production" IPs since the IPs are fenced and only accessible internally in the environment

-each VM has an "external" IP that we can use to access the VMs from outside the environment.  for example, access a website via the front end server inside the environment, or RDP to a windows VM within an environment.

I am trying to determine how this setup translates to vcloud, and I believe I have a rough idea.  However I have a few questions:

If I understand correctly, there is no way to RDP to a VM within a vApp "environment" unless the VM is direct routed, correct?  In other words, we can't copy the setup we have above, where the VM has an internal IP that matches the IP of the server in production and is used to talk to other VMs in the same vApp environment, yet there is also an external IP we can use to access that VM through RDP or access its website etc?

I have 2 windows 2008 servers I imported as templates, and every time I deploy a VM using either of these template vApp, the server seems to reboot itself after being powered on roughtly 15 minutes, and it seems to go through a windows setup where it says "preparing your system for first use" etc.  And when it comes up, the Administrator password I set is no longer correct (so I have no idea why/what it's changing the administrator password to).  At this point the VM is useless since I can't logon to it.  Any idea why this happens every time I deploy a VM from template?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is discussed here:  http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2010/09/15/vcd-networking-part-3-use-case .  Not exactly a step-by-step for your use case, but you should be able to get this up and running and configure the NAT in reverse.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mstevens492
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I solved my own question #2.  Guest customization was checked and was running the sysprep stuff on the VMs after powering on.  Unchecking that box stopped this from happening.

Still could use help with question #1 though as that's my most pressing issue so far that I've been unable to find a solution on.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can talk externally from an org using either a direct or routed connection.  So, you can mirror what you're doing.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here's a great diagram of vcloud networking concepts and their relation to each other.

http://www.hypervizor.com/2010/09/diagram-vmware-vcloud-director-networking-architecture/

-KjB

0 Kudos
mstevens492
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know I can have traffic go OUT from an org.  But what about talking TO an org from outside.  For example, I want to access a website hosted on a VM front end server in an org from my own laptop.  Or I want to RDP to a VM within an org from my own laptop.  Is that possible to do without using direct?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes.  The external routed part works through a vShield edge appliance that can be configured for NAT in reverse back to the vm.  Starts to get a little hairy, but it can be setup.

-KjB

mstevens492
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, any documentation you know of that discuss how to do that setup?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is discussed here:  http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2010/09/15/vcd-networking-part-3-use-case .  Not exactly a step-by-step for your use case, but you should be able to get this up and running and configure the NAT in reverse.

-KjB

0 Kudos