VMware Cloud Community
vbegineer
Contributor
Contributor

Why "Open in vSphere Web Client" function is not available for Organization Administrator?

Why "Open in vSphere Web Client" function is not available for Organization Administrator?

I can use this function when I login as System Administrator.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

your organization administrator is an external person in some situations.  if you have a completely internal cloud instance, the Org Admin might not be an IT person either.

The point of this cloud automation is to abstract details.  If an Organization Administrator has access (even just view access) to your Provider vDC in vSphere ... that's not really the point as it will expose details that they shouldn't really need to know.

If the person needs to see this, then they must be a system administrator.

0 Kudos
vbegineer
Contributor
Contributor

How to monitor the performance (CPU, RAM utilization etc.) of virtual machine without using the web client?

If we run a public cloud, our customer have to know the utilization of virtual machine...

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

They would monitor consumption of their allocated units at the Org vDC level.  Admin > Organization vDCs.  They shouldn't need to monitor actual real time consumption.  that's a job for the System Admins and IT staff of the provider.

To understand how the users would consume, please read the whitepaper on them: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vCloud_Director_Resource_Allocation-USLET.pdf

0 Kudos
vbegineer
Contributor
Contributor

:smileyconfused: In a IaaS public cloud, the Customer is a System Administrator, they want to view a performance chart of their virtual machines.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Actual consumption of GHz of a vCPU of a given VM is not provided in vCloud Director.  You could do some portal on top of vCloud Director and provide it using something like vCenter Operations Manager, or other monitoring tools.

vCloud does allocation and consumption.  For example the Allocation Pool is like saying I'll give you 20 GB of vRAM @ 50% guarantee.  This means you can assign up to 40 GB of vRAM to VMs, and your 'consumption' happens at 50% of this rate.  Same goes for vCPUs.

0 Kudos