VMware Cloud Community
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vshield Edge failover solution on roadmap?

Sorry, this was opened on vshield community as well but no answer provided, so trying here as well:

As many VSE devices might be implemented in an ORG that use many external networks, then VSE GWs devices(VMs) becomes crucial for this ORG.

Normally FWs have failover mechanism of some kind, in order to keep sessions initiated through primary FW relicate to backup FW so if primary fails

sessions are not disconnected.

Now, you mention VSE VM is monitored and use vmware normal vmware HA just like a 'regular' VM , so i guess a new VSE will be lunched and placed as the replacement GW on a free ESX out there ...

my questions are:

1. how long will this take for backup VSE to replace primary ?

2. what will happen to the sessions passing through the VSE that failed?

3. if sessions are all droped and needs to re-initiated by ORG VMs after new VSE is up - do you have 'stateful failover' capability in the roadmap for VSE?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Now, you mention VSE VM is monitored and use vmware normal vmware HA just like a 'regular' VM , so i guess a new VSE will be lunched and placed as the replacement GW on a free ESX out there ...

It is NOT a new VSE, it is the same VSE device on a different host. That is what HA does. HA is not application aware, only aware of the status of the host. On top of that you can enable VM Monitoring which can monitor the "Guest OS" to see if any issues has occured on that level, if so the VM can be rebooted. Again, it is the same VM being rebooted.

Good suggestion for the roadmap, it is something I suggested a while back. As Massimo also states, maybe it is worth trying to get a contact at VMware to get issues addressed at the right level,

thanks,

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCDX

-

Out Now: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS deepdive

Blogging: | Twitter:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I haven't tested it personally but I don't think it's "another" VSE that gets instantiated. It's rather the same VSE that gets restarted on the other side.

We don't discuss roadmaps on this forum. (If you are not a VMware competitor) Try to get in touch with your VMware representative and discuss the need to get access to those info.

Massimo Re Ferre'

VMware vCloud Architect

twitter.com/mreferre

www.it20.info

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, i will just strongly recommend you add it to the roadmap, VCD will become production in several places soon and a VSE device might fail and bring down all underlying applications on several hosts along with it.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It is NOT a new VSE, it is the same VSE device on a different host. That is what HA does. HA is not application aware, only aware of the status of the host. On top of that you can enable VM Monitoring which can monitor the "Guest OS" to see if any issues has occured on that level, if so the VM can be rebooted. Again, it is the same VM being rebooted.

Good suggestion for the roadmap, it is something I suggested a while back. As Massimo also states, maybe it is worth trying to get a contact at VMware to get issues addressed at the right level,

thanks,

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCDX

-

Out Now: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS deepdive

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
dquintana
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello ManyThanks,

If you want to suggest new features to the VMware develop team, here you have a Request a Product Feature Form , all that you put in there will help vmware to make better products for the future.

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Regards/Saludos

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

--

Noticia de Actualización del Foro - Estaremos realizando tareas de upgrade en las Comunidades de VMware desde el 10 a 12 de Diciembre de 2010, recuerden que el sistema solo funcionará en modo READ ONLY .

--

Ing. Diego Quintana

vmware user communities moderator

VCP 410- VCP 310 - VAC - VTSP - VSP- vExpert 2010

Unete al grupo de Virtualizacion en Español en Likedin

Wetcom Group - (Web Site)

!http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png![!http://www.images.wisestamp.com/twitter.png!|http://www.twitter.com/daquintana]

Ing. Diego Quintana - VMware Communities Moderator - Co Founder & CEO at Wetcom Group - vEXPERT From 2010 to 2020- VCP, VSP, VTSP, VAC - Twitter: @daquintana - Blog: http://www.wetcom.com-blog & http://www.diegoquintana.net - Enjoy the vmware communities !!!