VMware Cloud Community
numulite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMRC black screen & disconnected

Hi

When I try to open a vApp within vCloud Director and use the VMRC to view the virtual machine, the VMRC only shows a black screen.  It says "connected" then after 10 or so seconds it says "disconnected".

In "My Cloud," all of the "live thumbnails" of the vApps are visible.

Our cells have four logical interfaces: one vNIC for HTTP, one for VMRC (same VLAN), one for NAS and one for ESXi / vCenter & Database connection). DNS wroks fine and tcp 443 are opened.

I try to open VMRC on a server with same VLAN like HTTP & VMRC but fails.

Has anybody a good hint or a solution to get it work?

I've followed this link to install vCloud 5.1

How To Install VMware vCloud Director 5.1 & 1.5 From Beginning to End | Tech Blog

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
numulite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I solved the problem!

I have connected to consoleproxy IP address (https://14.10.89.15). I added manually this certificate into "Trusted root certification Authorities" folder. By default this certificate was added into another folder and does not work ok.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had some interesting times with this one in our company. First step is to double check your settings in Administration>Public Addresses in the VCD Public Console Proxy Address field. Does that DNS name resolve to the IP you assigned to the VMRC NIC in the setup? Try browsing to https://<Console Proxy Address>/sdk/vimServiceVersions.xml and see if it loads.

One other place to check is the VMRC logs, you can find them at:

%userprofile%\local\temp\vmrc-plugin\

%userprofile%\local\temp\vnware-username\

But beware that's where the vSphere client puts its VMRC logs too, don't get them mixed up if you use both on the same machine!

Our issue was due to our network isolation. The clients accessing our VCD instance had no outside/internet access. The VMRC plugin requires the ability to pull down root certs/crl's from the web in order to complete the SSL negotiation on occasion. Last I checked it still wasn't documented but VMware support is now aware of the issue.

0 Kudos
numulite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

%userprofile%\local\temp\vnware-username\ file shows this message:

2013-05-21T16:10:48.445+02:00| vmrc| W110: SSL_IsVerifyEnabled: failed to open the product registry key. Falling back to default behavior: verification on. LastError = 0

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120: CertificateCheck::CheckCertEmbedded: allowSSLErrors: true

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120: CertificateCheck::CheckCertEmbedded: Found the following errors for 14.10.89.15's SSL certificate: {

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120:   - 134217859

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120:   - The certificate is based on an untrusted root.

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120:   - A certificate in the host's chain is based on an untrusted root.

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120:   - The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate.

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120:   - The host's certificate is self-signed.

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120: }

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120: cui::CertificateCheck::CheckCertEmbedded - thumbprint for "14.10.89.15" OK

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120: cui::vmrc::VMCnx::OnConnectAborted: Connect failed for MOID "vm-147" on "14.10.89.15"

2013-05-21T16:11:03.476+02:00| vmrc| I120: cui::vmrc::VMCnxMgr::EmitConnectionStateSignal: Emitting "disconnected" signal (requested) for MOID "vm-147" on "14.10.89.15" - reason 'A secure connection to the server could not be established'

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So the basic checks:

1. check the time stamps on all vCD Cells ... they need to be in sync, because the VMRC connection is only valid for a short window.  Time skew only makes this worse.

2. as per above, ensure to configure the Console Proxy Public address.  This NEEDS to correspond to the DNS Entry placed into the SSL Certificate of every single vCD cell, and the DNS entry must resolve to the Cell/Load Balancer.

3. ensure that you use the same certificate in every single cell for the VMRC.  Not just the same data, the exact same certificate.  We do a thumbprint check ... if you get a thumbprint from one cell, and it differs on the cell you hit for VMRC ... it'll fail.

4. self signed certificates are usually fine, as long as you trust the VMRC URL manually (in case you have enforcement on).  They do need to follow the previous notes as well.

numulite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I solved the problem!

I have connected to consoleproxy IP address (https://14.10.89.15). I added manually this certificate into "Trusted root certification Authorities" folder. By default this certificate was added into another folder and does not work ok.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

excellent.  can you mark a post as the correct answer?  In the new forums, this will associate the post with your original ... this will make it easier for anyone else to locate for anyone searching the web.

0 Kudos
Lensar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Me too. Resolved. Thank you.

0 Kudos
rubensluque
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It worked for me too. I wish I could give you more points for that. Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
mohab_samy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you please till me how can i do this, and this in the user machine or the server

Regards,

0 Kudos
PercaFluviatili
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am getting this error to, when open a console in vCloud Director.

I dont have this issue in vCloud 5.5 but it come in vCloud 5.6 Using self signed certificates.

Can someone please elaborate how to fix this?

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PercaFluviatilis wrote:

I am getting this error to, when open a console in vCloud Director.

I dont have this issue in vCloud 5.5 but it come in vCloud 5.6 Using self signed certificates.

Can someone please elaborate how to fix this?

This is an old post so you probably fixed it by now - but I just noticed the same. Always used 5.5 in my lab with self-signed certificates and never had the issues. Now installed 5.6.4 and got the disconnected console and I too needed to browse manually to the consoleproxy IP and trust the certificate. Once that was done, the console popped up in an instant.

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Follow this if you aren't using IE on Windows (chrome or Firefox):

kb.vmware.com/kb/2058496

0 Kudos