VMware Cloud Community
acruizu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM with "Unknown" status

After an sudden power outage we were able to recover our vcloud director cell, but all VMs show the "unknown" status and all operations are disabled from the GUI. I'm able to poweron vms with the PowerCLI Start-CIVapp without problem.

Get-CIVM output sample:

Name                           Status                      GuestOSFullName                          CpuCount MemoryGB

----                           ------                      ---------------                          -------- --------

WINVM0                         Unknown                     Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-... 0        0.000

WINVM1                         Unknown                     Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-... 0        0.000

WINVM2                         Unknown                     Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-... 0        0.000

I trying refreshing and reconnecting to the vcloud's vcenter with no change.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the vm_inv table can basically be dumped ... all the *_INV tables are basically just a status get from vCenter ... if you recovered the table, the state may be absent for affected items.

I think you basically have to truncate all of the *_inv tables, followed by property_map ... then restart vCloud Director services.  This will force a full inventory sweep and get the correct/current status.

If you want help in doing this, you can create a support request and the technical team can help out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So the VMs shown as Unknown from vCloud or from vCenter?  I'm curious to know what the current state of the VMs are in vCenter itself, in comparison to vCloud Director.

It's also possible that, due to the crash, the vCenter proxy service is stuck too.  Can you go to the Cells page on Manage and monitor, and see if there is an error message at the top of the screen when access that page?

0 Kudos
acruizu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The unknown status is in vCloud. Everything is working great at the vSphere cluster level.

Everything loads without issues at the GUI level, but the VMs are marked at unknow.

I'm able to manipulate the vApps and poweron VMs with PowerCLI with the start-CIVApp commandlet.

Everything works fine when I create a new vApp.

I monitored the cell.log and everything loads ok.

0 Kudos
acruizu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess is a database related issue. Our DBA did a recover for one table with issues: VM_INV.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the vm_inv table can basically be dumped ... all the *_INV tables are basically just a status get from vCenter ... if you recovered the table, the state may be absent for affected items.

I think you basically have to truncate all of the *_inv tables, followed by property_map ... then restart vCloud Director services.  This will force a full inventory sweep and get the correct/current status.

If you want help in doing this, you can create a support request and the technical team can help out.

0 Kudos
acruizu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Worked like a charm!!! Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it's good when the forums can fix stuff in less than 4 hours.

acruizu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's awesome!!! It runs even faster than before...

0 Kudos