VMware Cloud Community
PhilPollard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM console and Mac OSX

I see that as of 1.5 VCD the only supported browser and OSes are still Windows and Linux.

I know there have been a few threads hinting about OSX Firefox support in the pipeline. Anyone know more detail on that?

Additionally has anyone found a viable workaround to breaking into the VMRC and producing a console usable on Mac OSX? JavaApp, etc?

Obviously VNC or X11 redirect could be done on the guest VMs, but in an ISP-type setup, it would be far more preferential to direct a real console. (End users might screw with their settings, etc.)

Is there anything similar to what you can do with Xen where the data is console-scraped and redirected as a VNC session that comes from the hypervisor and not the guest?

I am available for consulting: http://www.tsslink.com/ My focus is automation and programming with VMware.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Given that the company is currently looking to hire the engineer that will be the technical owner for VMRC on Mac OS X I think you've got a bit of a wait ahead of you.

There's really not an option for breaking into it. You would need to implement a full VMRC client in order to obtain the ticket and have the vCD console proxy pass the traffic to vSphere.

In terms of screen-scraping, you would need to implement that on top of vCD which would entail creating a VMRC client to obtain the data and then transform it appropriately.

0 Kudos
skywise
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone hear anything about the mac client?

Been almost 6 months...  <hopeful look>

Greg

0 Kudos
Court01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will be out of the office April 9th thru April 14th, and will have limited access to email.

0 Kudos
retrack
Contributor
Contributor

+1

any news ?

0 Kudos
retrack
Contributor
Contributor

Still nothing ?

0 Kudos
skywise
Contributor
Contributor

I read somewhere else that 5.x is the last using the windows client and version 6 will be only web based.

I gave that a try but the binary add-on (to give console and some other abilities) is only linux and windows.

Anyone know if a mac version of the binary will be available?

Greg

0 Kudos