VMware Cloud Community
LooseMoose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Templates

In our current vCenter only environment, we deploy new VM's for clients based off a pre-built template that has a bunch of customisations geared towards our market segment. I'd like to achieve the same in vCD but I cannot find any way of adding the templates into vCD and presenting to tenants. There's no documentation so I suspect it's not possible, is this accurate?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
patriccc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I am little new on this but i think that you can share the templates to tenants. In the public catalogs you can share this.

You can share with specific tenants or to all tenants.

I have this configured from who have setup my system. So i don't really now how he doing that. But you can.

I think you must setup a organization to allow share the catalogs.

I hope that you mean this function.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

You can setup a catalog in a master organization and configure it to be shared.  This is done by opening the catalog settings and selecting to share will "All Organizations" in a read-only fashion.  This will allow the Organization Administrators for your tenants to be able to copy these images into the catalogs they provide to their users.  This way still ensuring the tenant administrator has control over what content their users have access to, but allowing you to create gold base images they can use.

You can either create these "base" images in VCD or import from vCenter.  (It is also possible to create with something like packer and using the vCloud API, or powershell, import a created OVF into the catalog once you have created it).

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
LooseMoose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply, sorry if I'm not fully understanding but I'm still learning this.

When you say 'setup a catalog in master organisation' I don't appear to have this option under the system organisation. All I have with regards to catalogs is to 'Add a catalog to an organisation' and this requires me to select a tenant to create it with.

Note, I'm on vCD 9.0 if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mjha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@LooseMoose

You can follow below steps to achieve what you are looking for:

1: Create a new organization. Lets name it sevrice_vdc

pastedImage_0.png

2: Open properties of this Org and make sure Following buttons are check marked

pastedImage_1.png

3: Create a VDC under newly created Org. For simplicity I have kept the same name in my lab

pastedImage_3.png

4: Navigate to Catalogs tab and Create a new Catalog named "Public Catalog" or whatever name you want to keep

pastedImage_4.png

5: Right click on newly created catalog and select Publish/Subscribe Settings

pastedImage_5.png

6: Go to sharing tab and click on Add Organizations and based on your requirements select the list of Orgs with which you want to share the contents from newly created catalog in previous step

pastedImage_6.png

7: From storage tab select the storage policy on which you want to store your contents that will be uploaded in the catalog

pastedImage_7.png

8: Add contents to your catalog

pastedImage_8.png

9: Now if you navigate to other Org > Catalog > Public Catalogs, you will see the newly added template there

pastedImage_9.png

Hope this helps you.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Manish Jha | Operations Support Engineer | vCloud Air Operations vExpert 2015-17 | vExpert-NSX | vExpert-Cloud | VCAP6-DCV | VCP6-DCV | RHCE-7 Website : http://vstellar.com
0 Kudos
LooseMoose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Manish, exactly what I was after.

The only issue I have now is when selecting the template to use. If I select my vCenter, I'm unable to see any templates for use to add into the catalog.

I gave the vCD service specific permissions to the template but still no joy.

*EDIT*: I had a thought, so created a blank VM in vCenter and it shows up when importing in vCD. Can vCD not understand template VM's? Presumably I'd need to convert the template to a VM and then import it?

0 Kudos