VMware Cloud Community
Giovanni82
Contributor
Contributor

VCNI NETWORK ON VLCOUD DIRECTOR 5.1

Hi to everyone,

I have setup a Vcloud lab and I'm testing the virtual isolation network backed (VCNI) where we can set up a single Vlan ID (in my case Vlan 30) and create up to 1000 networks (in my case 500)

my scenario is the following:

External network : 192.168.0.0/24 to Outside

Org Vdc Network: 10.0.30.0/24 routed to EDGE with Vlan 30

Now i have a big trouble: when the VCNI comes into play? I must create more ORG VDC NETWORK or I must create only Vapp networks linked to the parent Vlan Address?

This trouble is not well documented so please explain me the correct steps to configure more Vcni networks..

All others networks type is working very well Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

For any other information about my scenario ask me without problem..

Thanks

Giovanni

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Network Pools are just like a bucked of isolated networks.  If vLAN 30 was an Apartment Building, vCDNI is like taking that apartment building and having 1000 units in it.  all isolated places for VMs to communicate.

When you create a new network that needs to be isolated, we basically give it an address which is the VLAN + a secondary number.  Kinda like VLAN 30 Unit 20.  If this were a postal address, it's like 20-30 VLAN Drive, Phyiscal Network, Your Datacenter, ...

The External network is intended to be the route to the outside world.  Real Address that work on the port group you associated it to.

The Edge Gateway is the path between these two.  He's the delivery man that goes between the apartment number and the street.

So, you'll use the network pool A) if you create an Organization Network (routed or isolated) OR B) a vApp network.  Each creation of one of these networks reduces what's left in the Apartment building by 1, since its occupied.

If you make an Org Network, ANY VM inside that Organization vDC can connect to the network and ping all other VMs in that network.

B) a vApp network is only available to VMs inside the vApp itself.

The thing is, that these two network types have different purposes.

If you could explain the goal ... what I want my network topology to look like, maybe we can help by knowing that.

Big Note ... If you created the Network Pool with vLAN 30 and associated it to a Distributed Switch.  VLAN 30 MUST MUST MUST be trunked to all uplinks of all ESXi hosts on that distributed switch.

Giovanni82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My goal is to understand where and when the Vcni subnets must be created and when then Dvfilter de-encapsulate the Vcni ID.

Now I have an Org Network with Vlan Tag 30 and a subnet 10.0.30.0 /24 so I have a 1% of network pool consumed (in my network pools there are 100 network so one subnet mean 1%). I've created the network pool and the Dvswitch correctly has associate the Vlan 30.

Now my question is: to create new subnets like 192.168.5.0,192.168.10.0 etc etc... What do I do? and in this scenario I can ping the switch gateway 10.0.30.254 (the Vlan number 30 address on the switch)? I can do with NAT the 192.168... address?

I understand that the "APARTMENT" like you said reduce one by one and I know that the purpose of the networks are different but is the same create a subnet in Org or in the Vapp from the VCNI point of view?

I also cannot ping between my VM under the ORG NETWORK and my physical switch (HP PROCURVE V1910)..i increase the MTU to 1600 in the Vcenter and in the network pool but in the switch i can't see any section to increase them...The MAC address of the VM however is learned in the ARP table of the switch meaning that some information arrive to the switch..

In last request my goal is to ping the switch with VCNI pool networks..

If you could give me some advice to design correctly I must appreciate your point of view..

Thanks

Giovanni

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

To use VCDNI network pool, you associate it with the org VDC (in org VDC properties page, network pool tab) and then when networks (org VDC or vApp) are created, they automatically use the resources from the VCDNI network pool

0 Kudos
Giovanni82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I know that I associate the pool under the network pool tab in the Org properties,I want to know if   the IP in the VDC ORG

must be the same of the Vlan created in the Switch (in my case 10.0.30.0 /24) or i can create networks also from other subnets without NAT in the VDC NETWORKS...

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

If VLAN 30 is used for your VCDNI network pool, it should have no IP subnet and should be used for nothing else except the VCDNI network pool. Should not be used for an external network or any other network pool (portgroup, VLAN, etc.)

0 Kudos
Giovanni82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

ok but when I create every new network (org net or vapp net) Vcloud ask me for a subnet and for IP Pool...

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

yes, because the isolated network will have an edge acting as the gateway for that network.

in a sense, whatever is in the isolated network can be  completely made up, as log as the network/ip/mask work out.

0 Kudos
Giovanni82
Contributor
Contributor

Ok but If I will create

let's say the subnet 192.168.5.0 /24 in the VDC network the Pool reduce by 1 the total nets available and assign the Vlan 30 in the Portgroup  how can communicate between the two networks within the same Vcni ID? and from your point of view the routing will be functioning? I can't test it because i suppose that the switch doesn't support the increase of MTU and I do these questions because vmware does not document very well this type of network so that I would know how it works this technology...

Thanks..

0 Kudos