VMware Cloud Community
sergey_zemlyano
Contributor
Contributor

VCD-NI problem

Hello guys!

Problem is the following.

VMs inside Organization network lost internal connectivity when are placed on different ESXi nodes.

We use VCD-NI feature in vcloud director. MTU 1524 is set in all equipment. Dedicated vlan is used for this purpose.

Interesting thing that if I manually create portgoup with the same vlan id and link affected VMs there - they begin see each other even from different hosts, but inside VCD-NI portgroups they lost connectivity in such case.

Where can be the problem cause?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimLawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are both hosts prepared & enabled in vCloud?

Could you try re-preparing them?

can you configure a non-VCDNI network between the hosts and see if that works?

Thanks

Tim

b0rbb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While logged in as a sysadmin, under Manage & Monitor for the System Org, if you go under vSphere Resources > Hosts, does the column with the header of  "VCD Network Isolation Capable" show green check marks for all the hosts listed?

Also, what VLAN do you have on the associated Network Pool for the network in question (running VCD-NI)?  I believe by default it's 0, which in some cases, might either be in use or configured in such a way that may not work well for a typcial VCD-NI Network Pool deployment.  I've run into that before, and the quick fix for that would be to obtain a dedicated VLAN in the normal 1-4094 space for use only by VCD-NI.  I know the documentation notes that a VLAN is optional, but in a case where VLAN 0 is unusable, using a dedicated VLAN for that network pool will work.

Oh, and make sure the network pool itself is set to use an MTU of 1524, I think that's done by default now for VCD-NI network pool types, but I know in the past (pre 1.5) it was still 1500.

sergey_zemlyano
Contributor
Contributor

Hello folks!

Root cause was banal....etherchannel on physical ports. And vCloud director is not compatible with this  :smileycool:

Thanks all!

0 Kudos