VMware Cloud Community
vmdkness
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCD 5.1.2 Host Spanning is not working

I am trying to get my vcloud director 5.1.2 into production so we can move off of Lab Manager and when a vm is deployed on a different server that its aasiacted vShield edge device it we can not access it via rdp.  If I manaually vmotion either the server or the edge device to the same host it works fine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the firewall is turned off on the vApp Internal Network and the VM's OS it should be all or nothing.  I've had this exact issue a couple times and it always came back to having the VLAN's added to the ports on the physical network switch and the Network Pool.  It must be 2 different VLAN ID's for the external network traffic and the Network Pool traffic.

What type of Network Pool are you using (Network Isolation, VXLAN, etc...)?  If Network Isolation what VLAN ID is it setup to run on?  What VLAN(s) ID does your external network run on?  Both of these VLAN's have to be available on the physical switch ports your DVS Switchport NICs are connected to.

We use the same setup.  We use the Network Isolation backed Network Pool and direct connect it to the External Network.

-Eric

VCP5-DV twitter - @ericblee6 blog - http://vEric.me

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What type of "Network Pool" are you using?  It'll need to be on a different VLAN than your External Network.  Those VLAN's must be available on the physical switch ports as well.

Also, have you checked the vSphere Resources\Hosts area to make sure they are green within the VCD Network Isolation Capable column?

-Eric

0 Kudos
HDVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using a static pool for the vapp network  on a 192.168 netwotk a the vapp network is connected to an org vdc network which  is connected to an external 10. vlan.   The host are green

on the VCD Network Isolation Capable colum.  Networking works fine unless the vse device is on a differen host then the vm.

0 Kudos
HDVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just noticed an odd thing these are windows servers i can map a drive but cannot rdp

0 Kudos
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the firewall is turned off on the vApp Internal Network and the VM's OS it should be all or nothing.  I've had this exact issue a couple times and it always came back to having the VLAN's added to the ports on the physical network switch and the Network Pool.  It must be 2 different VLAN ID's for the external network traffic and the Network Pool traffic.

What type of Network Pool are you using (Network Isolation, VXLAN, etc...)?  If Network Isolation what VLAN ID is it setup to run on?  What VLAN(s) ID does your external network run on?  Both of these VLAN's have to be available on the physical switch ports your DVS Switchport NICs are connected to.

We use the same setup.  We use the Network Isolation backed Network Pool and direct connect it to the External Network.

-Eric

0 Kudos
HDVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The only network pool i have is the VXlan are you saying that I have to create a netwok Isolation Pool  in order to use host spanning

0 Kudos
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You don't have to. We started our testing with VCD 1.0 and production with VCD 1.5 (pre VXLAN) and haven't migrated to VXLAN yet.  We have network changes to make (which require switch reboots) and haven't had a chance to complete this yet. 

Have you changed your MTU on the physical switches to 1600?  If not it will not allow the traffic to pass between the two host servers.

-Eric

0 Kudos
JohannStander
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Eric

sorry to bring up this post again but having the same problem as mentioned in this case.

I believe you are correct in saying that the physical ports need to have the VLAN assigned which is used by the vCDNI.

However I am struggling to wrap my head around which physical switch ports are being referred too.

Currently all vcloud created port groups are using my management port for all active uplinks.

I believe this set by Vcloud director, but not sure if this is correct.

Do I have to change the uplink port to a new uplink(physical port) which has the VLAN configured used by the vCDNI network pool.

I also have a few external networks with different VLANs, do I have to add the vCDNI VLAN to these network's associated uplinks as well?

Thanks

Johann

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Johann

I rarely look at threads marked as correct.  I'm pretty sure others do not as well.  In the future, please start a new question thread.  In your post you can mention it's similar to this thread and post a URL.

All we are asking is to ensure that when you dictate a VLAN in the VXLAN/VCNI setup, that it is configured in the network fabric.  One would hope that your Management Network (vmk0) is on a separate switch from your VM traffic, especially if you have multiple vmnic cards.

This is just an arbitrary example of a linear graph.  you just have to fill in the blanks, e.g. replace 2000 / MyCloudDVS / # :

[VXLAN/VCNI configured to use VLAN 2000] --> [Distributed Switch called 'MyCloudDVS'] --> [vmnic#] --> [Wire] --> [Switch Port] --> [Router ?]

The corresponding switch port for each vmnic on the Distributed Switch 'MyCloudDVS' needs to be configured to allow VLAN 2000 and an MTU of 1600.

0 Kudos