VMware Cloud Community
bsodenkamp
Contributor
Contributor

VCD 1.5 and vCenter Server5 on same MSSQL instance?

Hi All,

I'm planning a VCD implementation.  I'm only planning on using one instance of vCeter Server for now, and I'm wondering if there is any good reson not to have the VCD database and the vCenter Server database living on the same MSSQL server.  If that is a viable solution, could I also leverage heartbeat to provide HA for both VCD and vCenter Server?

Ben

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A couple thoughts:

1. Using the same SQL instance/Server for the two DB's (vCenter and vCD) is perfectly acceptable
  2. Are you thinking to install SQL on the vCenter and use HB on all of it?

Depending on the size of the deployment that will all work no doubt.  As it grows, obviously having SQL separate from vCenter and other components is easy to operationalize with reagrds to patches and troubleshooting. 

bsodenkamp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick response.  I am installing a redundant pair of vCenter Server with heartbeat, and also a redundant pair of MSSQL with heartbeat.  The vCenter Server and MSSQL will live on two (four) different VMs.  The instructions for heartbeat say to install it separately if the MSSQL server will be on a different VM or different hardware...  I am hoping to leverage database redundancy for both VCD and vCenter Server through putting heartbeat on the MSSQL vm pair.  I just didn't know if there was something in the way that heartbeat protects MSSQL that limits the protection to the vCenter Server database.

Ben

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That makes sense.  I will avoid the debate about the second vCenter dedicated to the vCD controlled workloads Smiley Happy.  Be sure to read a couple of my posts on my blog though they may help you out.

www.chriscolotti.us

0 Kudos