MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

VC for resource cluster - vSwitch location/decision

If I've created a management cluster containing my managment vCenter (VM) and subsequently a distributed switch, is it a good practice to then create my resource cluster VC (VM) within the same cluster and connect this to the DVS?

Or

Should I create an additional distributed vSwitch within the management cluster specifically for connecting the resource cluster VC to?

Either way you're using the same ESXi hosts, same physical network adapters and same VC to configure the virtual switch but I'm trying to discover what other people are doing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Having spoken to others regarding this I can confirm I have an answer to my question.

The answer is that you'll need to connect the resource cluster vCenter into the management cluster vDS to provide network connectivity.

What I hadn't appreciated is that the recommendation for the resource cluster is to actually create 2 seperate vSwitches. The first switch should be used only for the ESXi management connections. The second switch is for the consumer connections.

0 Kudos