VMware Cloud Community
jherry
Contributor
Contributor

VAMI compatibility

Hi,

I built a vApp using VMWare Studio 2.1. Networks are configured with VAMI so I have these properties into my OVF:

<ProductSection ovf:class="vami" ovf:instance="SpringooRP2.1" ovf:required="false">
      <Info>VAMI Properties</Info>
      <Category>Networking Properties</Category>
      <Property ovf:key="DNS0" ovf:userConfigurable="true" ovf:type="string" vmw:qualifiers="Dns('Network 1')">
        <Label>Network 1 DNS</Label>
      </Property>
      <Property ovf:key="gateway0" ovf:userConfigurable="true" ovf:type="string" vmw:qualifiers="Gateway('Network 1')">
        <Label>Network 1 Gateway</Label>
      </Property>
      <Property ovf:key="netmask0" ovf:userConfigurable="true" ovf:type="string" vmw:qualifiers="Netmask('Network 1')">
        <Label>Network 1 Netmask</Label>
      </Property>
      <Property ovf:key="ip0" ovf:userConfigurable="true" ovf:type="string" vmw:qualifiers="Ip('Network 1')">
        <Label>Network 1 IP Address</Label>
      </Property>
    </ProductSection>

When I upload it on a vCenter, providing an IP pool, it works fine but when I upload it using vCloud Director I cannot power on the vApp. The error is "Property vami.ip0.SpringooRP2.1 is not configured".

So my question is: does vCloud Director support VAMI features? Or what's wrong with my vApp?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This isn't a definitive answer, but based on a casual conversation with a colleague: VCD doesn't have any explicit support for VAMI features, so if there's any interaction required to configure the values upon deployment/power on, it won't happen. You could try providing default values (if that's possible) for properties prior to uploading which would probably work when deployed.

jherry
Contributor
Contributor

If I understand, vmw:qualifiers are not supported?

So is there a way, in a particular VM, to know IPs of other VMs of the same vApp with vCloud Director?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VCD does not currently support injecting information about the environment into a VM. You would have to do that at the application level. Or use static IPs (so you know what they'll be in advance) and fence the vApp.

0 Kudos
bercheg
Contributor
Contributor

If I understand correctly this thread, the VAMI vmw:qualifiers assigned in the OVF generated by vmware vmstudio are ignored by vCloud director, and as a result, these properties are left with an empty value which prevents the vApp template from being instanciated.

The workaround is to delete manually those qualifiers and manually provide values in the OVF file.

The net result is that the OVF becomes not quite portable and needs to be tuned for the target virtualization platform (within vmware product line, have a distinct OVF depending on whether it targets vCD or vSphere).

Any hints on what is planned to try to make the appliances more portables among the virtualization platforms in such situations?

Could one imagine for instance, to have vCloud Director become configureable so that patterns of OVF properties/qualifiers can be defined so that a same appliance can work on this context? Is there anything else planned as part of vCloud director roadmap for enhanced OVF support (current support is outlined into vSphere vApps in a vCloud Environment)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Guillaume, your understanding is correct, as is the workaround you've proposed.

It VMware's policy to not comment on future development, but we are aware of the issue.

0 Kudos