VMware Cloud Community
MohanSridharan
Contributor
Contributor

Use vCloud SDK for Java to integrate with vCD 5.6

Hello Folks,

Newbie here.

I have a situation where a home grown app, that uses vCloud SDK for Java to invoke a vCloud Director 5.1 installation. We use this for powering on/ off a few VMs.

Our installation is being upgraded from vCloud Director 5.1 to 5.6.

My question is, are we expected to upgrade/ carry out any code changes to our current implementation to integrate with the newer runtime version (5.6)?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Mohan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't tested this myself, but I would be weary.  From an API perspective, you can check the api/versions URL and see if 5.1 is a valid API version call to make.  that means it should at least work for the most part.

you would have to watch out for any changes.  There were some terminologies that changed between 5.1 and 5.6.  If 5.6 deprecated any features/functions, that might not work.  There is also the storage policy to profile changes and Catalog terminology changes as well.

Any new features from 5.6 won't be available in the SDK for 5.1.

It would be ideal to have parity (SDK to vCD version), but you'd still have to make sure that the code is works in the new SDK (it might be deprecated but still works vs deprecated and doesn't work).

Also, there is a dedicated vCloud API forum on VMTN ... but I don't have a direct link to that.

MohanSridharan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a ton for the response.

I'll wait till our vCD 5.6 environment becomes available, and run the tests to check compatibility.

The broader question here are:

1. Can you help point me to any articles/ general guidelines on how cross-compatible these java API clients are?
  2. Whats vmWare's support stand on such cross version integrations? (say... vCloud SDK 5.1 invoking vCD 5.6)

Thanks!

Mohan

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Somewhat going from memory here.

As long as the REST API Versions URL states that it is compatible with 5.1, then you should be fine to make the calls as v5.1.

Here is the section of the documentation for that:

Using the vCloud API with vCloud Director

The I think the SDKs are just wrappers in a manner of speaking.  They all eventually translate code (java/python/etc) into a REST API system that is sent into vCloud Director via the API.  For the most part, I think it'll work.

That's not talking about "support", just that it should work with some exceptions.  I don't know if there is an official stance on cross compatibility like this.

0 Kudos