VMware Cloud Community
fcarballo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade vCD 5.1.x on CentOS 5.10 to vCD 5.5.x n CentOS 6.x

Hello, folks!

I'm trying to upgrade a vCD 5.1 running os CentOS 5.10 to vCD 5.5 running on CentOS 6.x. I've tried the following:

- A fresh install of CentOS 6.x

- A fresh install of vCD 5.5 pointing to a copy of the vCD 5.1 database

- Upgraded the database with /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin/upgrade

All went fine but the vCD is not starting. Actually it is starting the service but the following error appears on log and the GUI is just a grey screen:

Error starting application: Unable to decrypt encrypted property: "jms.user.system.password". Message: Error decrypting data.

Anyone knows what I can do to solve this issue?

Felipe Carballo - VCP5 - VCP-Cloud
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
uxmax1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,

did you install the setup file using the response file from your "old" installation ? If not you have to do the installation again using the "old" database and the response file.

The response file is saved on the first vCD installation including all configuration parameters and usually saved under /opt/vmware/cloud-director/etc/responses.properties.

BR,

uxmax

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
uxmax1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,

did you install the setup file using the response file from your "old" installation ? If not you have to do the installation again using the "old" database and the response file.

The response file is saved on the first vCD installation including all configuration parameters and usually saved under /opt/vmware/cloud-director/etc/responses.properties.

BR,

uxmax

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree with this assessment.  when you did the installation on the new CentOS Cell you'd do the following

./vmware-vcloud-director-5.5.1-#####.bin -r /path/to/responses.properties

Ideally speaking, you should have upgraded vCloud Director on the original cell and then only did the installation at the new cell.  then you could have broken down your point of failure.

fcarballo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello guys,

I'll try to make this installation with the response file today.

I can't upgrade the vCloud Director on the original cell because it's a CentOS 5.x and there is no vCD 5.5 installation package for CentOS 5.x (or RHEL 5).

Regards,

Felipe Carballo

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What are you talking about?  If you have vCD 5.1.x on Cent OS 5.x, then just use the installer you have.  there is only one installer for all scenarios (it does fresh installs and upgrades).  the only other way to get it is an appliance (but you wouldn't use that in this case).

You don't even uninstall vCD 5.1.x ... just run the new installer bin on the CentOS system with vCD 5.1.x installed and it'll detect that it's an upgrade situation and go forward.  Since the DB looks to have already been upgraded, you can skip that part and start the cell services once the upgrade is completed.

If you really want to upgrade CentOS to 6.x generation, then you would upgrade vCD first then CentOS second (ideally with the vCloud services stopped).

0 Kudos
uxmax1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

CentosOS 5.5 is not a supported OS. Thats maybe why? But like amTHEvilONE said just run he last Version of the installer and you are fine.

Just a side note. upgrade of Centos5.5 to 6 is _NOT_ supported and you gonna need a clean install.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does CentOS not support the upgrade of 5.5 to 6.0?

Just speaking from personal experience below this point:

vCD 5.1.3 didn't support CentOS as a Host OS ... but they already bypassed that warning and got it installed.  If they just upgrade to vCD 5.5.x, I think it should be fine.  vCD is almost 100% modular as an application, even the JRE version is a redistribute package.  I (personally) haven't seen any issues running CentOS as the host for vCD ... aside from a policy perspective of what VMware Supports.  Yeah, CentOS 6 is only supported, but RHEL 5.5 is just fine (and CentOS is pretty dang close).  Once you have vCD installed, then upgrade the OS via a Repo to 6.x generation of a supported version.

Aside from that, follow previous instructions of doing an installation using CentOS 6 and responses.properties.

0 Kudos
fcarballo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's exactly my problem. CentOS 5.x is not a supported OS for vCD 5.5 (and even for vCD 5.1 although I can install vCD 5.1 using the bin install package). And yes, I cannot upgrade my CentOS 5 to CentOS 6, that's why I did what I did (as related on my first post). 😃

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

fair enough.  I haven't taken this exact route before, so I wasn't sure.

0 Kudos
fcarballo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to thank both of you guys. Using the responses.properties file I have succesfully upgraded my vCD to 5.5 on a CentOS 6 fresh install.

0 Kudos