VMware Cloud Community
tsg1299
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start vApp

Getting this error in vCD 8.0 intermittently when attempting to start up a VM within a vApp:

- One or more exceptions have occurred

- Unable to create deployment package.

- Failed to execute process [/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/deployPkg/deployPkg]. Standard Output: Logging in /tmp/vmware-imc/deploypkg-22644-ed59-2228-1dc4-xxxx.log

Failed to open log file: Permission denied: "/tmp/vmware-imc/deploypkg-22644-ed59-2228-1dc4-xxxx.log"

Standard Error: Error : Log not started.

- Unable to create deployment package.

- Failed to execute process [/opt/vmware/vcloud-director/deployPkg/deployPkg]. Standard Output: Logging in /tmp/vmware-imc/deploypkg-22650-793f-8cb6-1749-xxxx.log

Failed to open log file: Permission denied: "/tmp/vmware-imc/deploypkg-22650-793f-8cb6-1749-xxxx.log"

Standard Error: Error : Log not started.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't come across this personally.

But it sounds like when guest customization attempts to run on a VM.  I can't remember at what point that the customization packages are created each time a VM is powered on, but this could be the target VM (if it's Linux) or on the vCD Cell where the script is triggering.  If the customization package is absent, I think it generates on deploy but the process to create the kit is on the Cell.

So if you have more than one cell in your deployment, are each configured identically?

Can you try and track logging to see if one Cell works and another fails?

vCD is usually installed as root ... but it's trying to write a log to /tmp with a permission denied.  You should see something in syslog or similar about this in CentOS/RHEL.

0 Kudos