VMware Cloud Community
dnguyen1022
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create vShield Edge VM

Hi All,

I have a vApp with all VMs connected to a vApp Network.  Only when I connect the vApp Network to a Direct External Network, the vApp refuses to start.  It gives me the following error

Unable to start vApp "vApp1".
- Unable to start virtual machines in resource pool "VDC1 (34f9163e-5c4a-4532-8324-1bb8fc728493)".
- Failed to initialize shield appliance
- HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Code : 70509, Description : Unable to create vShield Edge Virtual machine. This is a vCenter Server operation and might fail due to intermittent communication failure with vCenter Server or system unresponsiveness. Please check vCenter Server Tasks for details

However if I remove the connection to the external network (leaving me with basically only a local private network), the vApp starts up.  Looking at vCenter tasks, I see it creating a new port group, and "Service VMs" folder and then deleting them both.  There does not appear to be any other details of importance in the vCenter Server tasks.

I already saw this article... http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201022...

And tried pinging the vcenter and ESXi hosts with success.

Am I suppose to have vShield Edge installed on my portgroup as a prerequisite to this?  I tried doing the installation on my portgroup with the same error.

I'm not quite sure what else to look at.

Thank you for your help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
charliejllewell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
dnguyen1022
Contributor
Contributor

I went through the entire list of logs by going through each category.  There does not appear to be anything that would give me anymore information.

I only see this...

adminEdgeInstalldvs.VCDVSvApp-NET1-5f67c75c-0681-486e-9d2d-8c6c8ea3514b Mon Jun 18 2012 22:57:55
0 Kudos
dnguyen1022
Contributor
Contributor

Just for additional information, I tried installing vShield Edge on a standard port group through vSphere and it works.  Only when installing Edge on a vDS port group does it fail.

0 Kudos
hypercloud
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue.

Were you able to figure this out? Another person with the same issue has a post here http://communities.vmware.com/thread/405990?tstart=0

but still no answer.

0 Kudos
hypercloud
Contributor
Contributor

just realized you are the other person Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
hypercloud
Contributor
Contributor

This is the only error in the logs that I can find.

Error 2012-06-25 02:52:43.186 GMT EdgeApplianceManager deployEdgeAppliance 246: error while deploying edge::
EXCEPTION: com.bluelane.vfc.edge.exception.VseGenericErrorException,
MESSAGE: Unable to create vShield Edge Virtual machine. This is a vCenter Server operation and might fail due to intermittent communication failure with vCenter Server or system unresponsiveness. Please check vCenter Server Tasks for details
at com.bluelane.vfc.deploy.EdgeApi.deployNewEdge(EdgeApi.java:754)
at com.bluelane.vfc.deploy.EdgeApi.createEdgeDevice(EdgeApi.java:438)
at com.bluelane.vfc.edge.EdgeApplianceManager.deployEdgeAppliance(EdgeApplianceManager.java:1242)
at com.bluelane.vfc.edge.BulkManager.config(BulkManager.java:304)
at com.bluelane.vfc.edge.EdgeApplianceManagerV2.install(EdgeApplianceManagerV2.java:76)
at com.bluelane.vfc.edge.VseService.installEdge(VseService.java:374)
at com.bluelane.presentation.edge.EdgeAppV2$1.run(EdgeAppV2.java:118)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
0 Kudos