VMware Cloud Community
ManivelR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The requested operation will exceed the storage quota size | Creating VM snapshot

Hi All,

I have a VDC where only one VM is there.

Overall storage allocated of VDC(USVDC) is 15 TB.

Storage used is 12.8 TB

Windows VM total size is 12.8 TB

When we take snapshot,we are getting the below error.Normally,the snapshot size will be 15 MB to 20 MB(while take the snapshot)and then it will grow.

[ c99c801d-b638-4eda-a82b-65e6491a1f4b ] The requested operation will exceed the VDC's storage quota: storage policy "Gold-VSAN-Policy" has 2,471,936 MB remaining, requested 12,855,296 MB.

My question,If I extend the "USVDC"storage allocation from 15 TB to 28 TB,then I can take the snapshot easily.but I cannot revert back the VDC storage allocation again to 15 TB.

Why we are getting such errors as the VM snapshot needs only minimal space not complete VM space(12.5 TB)?

Thanks,

Manivel RR

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atusmenezes
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am not sure, but vCD takes in consideration the total size of the VM for snapshot. It is like a guarantee that you will not consume more disk space then you have, and cause other problems.

I believe you can extend your storage quota, but you can just revert to the right size after remove the snapshot.

0 Kudos