VMware Cloud Community
mjp_oz
Contributor
Contributor

Tenant options for Performance statistics

Hi,

I have a questions around permonace statsicts graphing/logging. When we have vcentre access this is not a problem but when that access is removed what are the options? As their is no stats available via the vcloud interface for tenants.

For example, tenants within a vcloud system that have only vcloud access and if they have powercli access for their org/trenenacy only what options are available for them to log vm stats for perfomance, troubleshooting and/or resource forecasting etc..

Most powercli examples I see also need some form of vcenter access. I am hoping there is somethign that can be run to pull those stats so tenenats are able to run their own vm monitoing.

thanks

malcolm

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jonathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Malcolm,

In vCloud Director releases from 5.60 through v8.20 (inclusive) you can retrieve performance metrics for VMs via the vCloud API. The provider needs to configure a couple of databases (Cassandra and KairosDB) in their platform for this to work. The API calls are reasonably straightforward and can extract common metrics (CPU, Memory, Network etc.) for each VM. There are some details on this here: https://blogs.vmware.com/vcat/2015/08/vmware-vcloud-director-virtual-machine-metric-database.html

VMware vCloud Director Virtual Machine Metric Database - vCloud Architecture Toolkit (vCAT) Blog - V...

In the latest (v9) release of vCloud Director, the requirement for KairosDB at the provider is removed (just Apache Cassandra is now required) and the performance metrics can be viewed 'live' in the new HTML5 tenant UI. See Louis Liu's post here:

Virtual Machine Performance Metrics in VMware vCloud Director 9.0 - vCloud Architecture Toolkit (vCA...

Regards, Jon.

0 Kudos