VMware Cloud Community
aha_tom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Take long time for a management task to finish in vCD 1.5

We are still using vCloud Director 1.5. Recently we start to notice, through vDC, when we try to carry out a management task on a VM, e.g. Power on/off a VM, Change OS customization, the task takes very long time to finish. A simple power on task will now take more than 10mins. This issue affects all VMs managed throug vCloud Director. Has anyone seen this before?

Our vCD environment consist of two cells. I have tried to restart both cell servers and that made no difference.

I am in contact with VMware. They couldn't tell the cause on the first look and had asked me to use vmware-vcd-support to collect logs for them to diagnose. Not sure if this is related to the issue, but when I ran the command to collect logs, it generates a very large file (>35GB) and filled up the cell's disk!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rbudavari
Community Manager
Community Manager

First thing to check would be time sync between your vCD cells and the vCenter Server (i've seen this cause similar problems).

aha_tom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue fixed itself after multiple times of reboot of the vCloud Director cell servers...

0 Kudos
FGShepherdP10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran across this in 5.1.x recently, so I wrote up a quick post about setting time sync in this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/447608

0 Kudos