VMware Cloud Community
Ashley004
Contributor
Contributor

Storage vmotion in vsphere of a vCloud Director managed VM

Hi All

I wonder if someone can shed some light on this, I am trying to do a storage vmotion of a vcloud director VM that is running or powered on, I have added an additional LUN or storage to the vDC and then in vSphere I try to do a storage vmotion to the new storage, the process starts and gets to 19% and then fails with “ A specified parameter was not correct “

When I power the VM down and try the storage vmotion it works without any errors

I am running vCloud director 1.5 with vSphere 5 and esxi5

Regards

Ashley

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

2 quick questions

1. Was fast provisioning NOT enabled on the Source Datastore?

2. Were you attempting to SvMotion the VM to a datastore that is also in the same Organization vDC in vCloud Director?

If both of the above statements are true, then it's just like any other SvMotion.  If either is false, then it's an unsupported scenario.

Should both be true, then check out any troubleshooting related to SvMotion 😃

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
Ashley004
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jon

Thanks for replying

1. Please correct me if I’m wrong you enable fast provisioning on the organization vDC storage as a whole , I have tried to storage vmotion with this both selected and unselected and fails with both selected.
  2. Yes the datastore has been added to the vDC (under provider vDC’s )

As indicated the storage vmotion does work when a VM is powered off

Regards

Ashley

0 Kudos
TTB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ashley.

I to am looking for resolution. Same configuration ESXi 5, VCD 1.5..Was able to perform on ESXi 4.1u1, VCD 1.0.

I found the following article but no helpful workaround except power off the vm.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201212...

I am yet to try the following

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/02/performing-storage-vmotion-in-vcloud.html

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Ashley004
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TTB

I still haven’t found a solution to the issue , I have had to move on to other issues to deal with , but will be logging a call with VMware and will feedback when I have some more info

Regards

Ashley

0 Kudos
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the exact same issue:

2 x HP ProLiant DL580 G5 (64GB Memory, 4 socket - 6 core each)

ESXi 5.0

vCloud Director 1.5

2 x 1TB Luns

Tried via PowerCLI and the vSphere GUI Smiley Sad Issue is once we take this into production we cannot power down a virtual machine to svmotion, downtime = money loss.

0 Kudos
jnalley_greencl
Contributor
Contributor

Have you seen this KB article on that error?

0 Kudos