VMware Cloud Community
clandeck
Contributor
Contributor

Starting vCloud Director VMs in vCenter takes 2 minutes

Hello,

with my fresh installation of VCD on a vspehre 5.1 cluster I am facing the problem, that starting a VCD vapp VM takes up to 3 minutes in vCenter. If I create a VM in vCenter and start it, it takes just a couple of seconds. If I start a VCD created VM in vCenter itself, it takes a looooong time. Also cloning of Fast Provisioned VMs seems to take longer than expectec. The clone Process stays for a long time with 95% in vCenter.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Landi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

A couple of things to look at...

1. How many directories exist on the data volume these VM's reside at?  (If over about 1k this is a known ESXi issue) [Does not sound like your issue, but something to check]

2. If you shutdown a vapp - run consolidate on each vapp in it -- are they still slow to start?

3. Are the same VM's slow to start if you try and stop and restart it using vCenter only?  (one created with vcloud, not created in vcenter)

Not sure these are your issue; but items I have seen before

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert

Also, if you are using Fenced vApps or a NAT Routed vApp Internal network the system has to deploy/update VSE's before it even powers on the VM's within the vApp.

VCP5-DV twitter - @ericblee6 blog - http://vEric.me
0 Kudos
clandeck
Contributor
Contributor

It's the VM that takes so long, not the vapp. Also the linked clones takes too long. In vCenter the clone process is fast until 95% then it takes mor than 2 minutes until the linked clone finishes in vCenter. It is not the first installtion of VCD I did. With every other intallation power on and cloning is as fast as 5 seconds.

First I thougt it has something to do with VM placement, but as I said, cloning is also slow after the actual cloning process has already finished.

0 Kudos
clandeck
Contributor
Contributor

We had to restart the vCenter Server because of some problems with Profile Driven Storage Windows Service. Now starting/cloning a vapp is fast as usual!

0 Kudos