VMware Cloud Community
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Splitting up the external network pool

My scenario is that I have a range of about 200 addresses on a single VLAN which can not be broken out to seperate VLANs or seperate IP scopes.  I need to divide this range out to 4 different orginzations, it doesn't necessarlily need to be contiguos ranges but to make things simple I want something like this:

Example:

Org1: 10.1.1.10 - 10.1.1.50 - routed

Org2: 10.1.1.51 - 10.1.1.100 -routed

Org3: 10.1.1.101 - 10.1.1.150 -routed

Org4: 10.1.1.151 - 10.1.1.210 -direct

Org1-3 will have a routed network connected to the external network.

Org4 will have a direct network connected to the external network.

That external network includes the full range, 10.1.1.10 - 10.1.1.210.

I would like to either A: Set a quota per Org to have x number of IP's or B: Manually define the range per org routed network.

This is all to prevent one Org from having more IP's than another.  I would think this is a common use case when it comes to Public IP's anyone have a workaround?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

This isn't really supported in VCD 1.5. You can try making 4 external nets on the same VLAN and give them different IP pools in the same subnet

0 Kudos
JasonBurrell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That was the first thing I tried but vCD would not allow multiple external networks with the same VLAN... 

I guess I could limit it by number of networks because each org is using the network in a specific way.

Example

Org1: Each vApp is fenced/routed to the org and the org is routed to the external, therefor each vApp should take up 2 networks

Org2: Each vApp is fenced/routed to the org and the org is routed to the external, therefor each vApp should take up 2 networks

Org3: Each vApp is directly connected to the org and the org is routed to the external, therefor each vApp should take up 1 network

Org4: Each vApp is directly connected to the external network and therefore will not take up any networks

I have 200 IP's

I want it split like this:

Org1: 40 IP's x2 per vApp = 80 Networks

Org2: 50 IP's x2 per vApp = 100 Networks

Org3: 50 IP's x1 per vApp = 50 Networks

Org4: 60 IP's x0 per vApp = 0 Networks

This would obvioulsly be a mess if internal networks were involved but I can't think of a better workaround besides giving each org its own VLAN.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

There is a setting in System, Administration, System Settings, General.

Under the Networking heading there's a checkbox "Allow overlapping external networks"

0 Kudos