VMware Cloud Community
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Service Manager and vCloud or... Skytap?

I have a project for a hybrid cloud, and we've been recommended to use Service Manager with vCloud Director.

Service Manager's price is very high, and it's making the project almost impossible to make it true.

I've been told about Skytap solution for hybrid cloud... does someone know if Skytap works as Service Manager? or it just works as vCloud Director?

Thanks in advance

Celia.-
0 Kudos
6 Replies
nodellskytap
Contributor
Contributor

In this case Skytap would be your Hybrid Cloud provider and you would simply bring your service manager app and run it on Skytap Cloud vs. vCD. Cost savings of using Skytap over vCD may help you offset the expense of Service Manager. I can't say that for sure but it is worth looking at pricing out Skytap to see how you can save overall. You also might like to know that Skytap won the Best of VMworld for Hybrid Cloud this year. You can read more here: http://bit.ly/qsszzB

Hope this helps and let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Sincerely,

Nate Odell

Director of Marketing

Skytap, Inc.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Nate,

While I agree that SkyTap is awesome, Service Manager is a VMware specific tool that requires the VMware stack, which SkyTap doesn't offer (you have your own interfaces, which are pretty badass).

To the OP:  Definitly look into SkyTap - having seen their backend and met their founders/engineering folks, I dont think you can go wrong.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
nodellskytap
Contributor
Contributor

Matt - thanks for correcting me. I was unaware regarding Service Manager. Also, thanks for the props on Skytap Cloud. We appreciate VMWare's support!

- Nate

0 Kudos
cpope
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What does Skytap use as its backend?  Does it address vSphere directly using the VIM API?  A lot of what I have read sounds very much like Lab Manager, are they using LM?  I'd be interested to know a little more about what VMware technologies they are using and how.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I'm out of the office and traveling between Friday, October 21st returning on Monday, October 23rd.

0 Kudos
nodellskytap
Contributor
Contributor

cpope,

Skytap leverages vmware esx as a hypervisor but beyond that the technology that we have built is proprietary. We have many customers that were once Lab Manager users and have found some similarities in Skytap Cloud however with a lot more bells and whistles, besides the obvious difference of being cloud vs. an on-prem solution.

If you are interested in seeing more let us know and we can setup a demo and / or get you started with a trial to check it out.

- Nate

0 Kudos