VMware Cloud Community
abergman89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Secondary IP without Gateway and manual config

Hello,

Our VMs have a primary NIC witch is connected to an external network, and the IP assigned via VCD, now we want to add a secondary NIC but we want to handle the IPs manually, since the network is connected to a customer LAN.

Can i just set the allocation type to DHCP? As I understand the "Static IP - manual" will still use the Gatewat configured on the IP Pool?

Br

Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VCD will not configure two gateways, it will only configure one gateway which is the one associated with the NIC marked primary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Andreas,

I believe with the current implementation for Windows "Static" (pool/manual) will always configure gateway on the primary NIC, but not for the secondary NIC. This is implementation detail and may change in the future. For Linux this is probably not the case, I would have to check.

If you really want Static IP but not gateway, I would suggest to consider using your own pre-/post-customization script for setting up network in combination with OVF properties (see http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/06/leveraging-vapp-vm-custom-properties-in-vcloud-director.html) for providing values like IP.

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The primary NIC is not necessarily the first NIC - it's whichever NIC you specify as primary

0 Kudos
abergman89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, but will the Secondary(not primary) not have a GW configured?

Afaik Linux have an annoying way of using the last configured GW as primary GW and therefore messing up the routing. But I can be wrong.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VCD will not configure two gateways, it will only configure one gateway which is the one associated with the NIC marked primary

0 Kudos