VMware Cloud Community
Gaprofittit
Contributor
Contributor

Running VCD without Edge licensing

Hi All,

I am new to VCD and haven't installed it yet but trying to understand the networking aspect.  Our scenario is we want
to initially use it to allow self provisioning for our development team for a boatload of scenarios, different versions of our
software, different versions of Window etc.

I understand without Edge licensing we will not be able to do anything but External networks directly connected, so
for example if I specify a static pool of 10.86.86.20 - 10.86.86.100 and then connect the Org network to this external
network my understanding is Vcloud will keep track and assign IP's based from this external pool? Am i correct
in this scenario?  I would also have no use for Vapp networks either correct?

We don't have the need currently for NAT/Firewall/DHCP services in this vcloud environment.

Also we have a seperate unused vCenter license, should i use that for the management cluster
and the Vcloud clusters?  Does the management cluster have to see all storage/networks

that are in the actual provider cluster that supplies resources to the cloud?

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
charliejllewell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe your scinario with vShield edge unlicesnsed is true although without having tried this I do not know how this would work in practice.

You should be fine to use your spare license for the Vc to manage vCloud and management resources. To clarify the management cluster is just to host supporting services for the vCloud resources (e.g. vCloud cells) so there's no requirement to see the storage/most networks in the resources cluster. There are some networks that will need accessible from the management cluster so the cells can orchestrate the vcloud resources e.g. ESX hosts. This diagram may help work out which networks will be required http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103081....

Also this is a useful resource if you have not already seen it http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-Architecting-vCloud-WP.pdf.

Hope this helps Charlie

0 Kudos