VMware Cloud Community
ph1819
Contributor
Contributor

Restricting a user to a specific vDC within an Organization?

I want restrict a user to be a vapp author of a specific vDC within an organization.   How can that be accomplished?   I have searched all over.  All the users show up under users in the administration tab for the whole organization but I don't see how to assign a user to only see the Finance vDC for example.  Whenever I create new user within the organization and log in as that user and create a vm the vm is created in the test dev vDC not the finance vDC. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

Can't really do what you want.  If you want to break groups up like that then you need to use the Organization structure.

That said, if all you want to do is protect some operations you could use the AMQP blocking tasks to add you own protection in.  (For example if you detect a deployment is going to the wrong VDC you can stop with an error).  This is far from perfect, but might work based on the need.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Adrian_Ci
Contributor
Contributor

I am searching for a solution to restrict access to users to a specific vDC, as mentioned in the initial post, because we have users that are administrators for several vDCs and others that should have access to a single one. In my case I would have to create a single VDC per Organization? The second problem is that if I already created an Organization with several vDCs it is not possible to change the whole environment, because it is not possible to move vDCs between Organizations, as far as I know. So from my point of view this must be implemented. If there is a possibility to configure this please let me know.

0 Kudos