VMware Cloud Community
FGShepherdP10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remote Console (VMRC) Issue

In "My Cloud," all of the "live thumbnails" of the vApps are visible.  When I open a Console, I get "Connecting..." then "Disconnected" and a black screen.

Our cells are in a DMZ with two logical interfaces on one vNIC (one for HTTP and one for VMRC), with static routes back through a firewall to our ESX and vCenter VLANs.  Pinging and lookups are fine and we've opened the ports in the VMware docs.

My suspicion is that it has to do with DNS.  If I hit those DMZ cells from the management/protected VLAN, I can open the Remote Console just fine.

One odd thing is that I recently got an error, when testing remotely, that the server was "unable to find [the DNS name of our vCenter server]" after a failed Remote Console attempt.

I know how dependent vCD is on good DNS management, so I'm sure it's something simple.  Any help is, as always, geratly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FGShepherdP10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did the upgrade, still no help.

The answer: We had put a second vmknic (1) on the hosts to support VXLAN.  Rather than use DHCP, I manually assigned the IPs.

As it turned out, the IPs shared the first three octets with the original vmknic (0).  Despite the fact that their subnet masks were supposed to be /25 and /26, both vmknics were misconfigured (by me) with /24 masks.  Not good.

Once I put the appropriate /25 and /26 masks on the vmknics, things started working again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you aren't on vCloud 5.1.2, can you upgrade?  there were some minor fixes in there for the VMRC system.

FGShepherdP10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did the upgrade, still no help.

The answer: We had put a second vmknic (1) on the hosts to support VXLAN.  Rather than use DHCP, I manually assigned the IPs.

As it turned out, the IPs shared the first three octets with the original vmknic (0).  Despite the fact that their subnet masks were supposed to be /25 and /26, both vmknics were misconfigured (by me) with /24 masks.  Not good.

Once I put the appropriate /25 and /26 masks on the vmknics, things started working again.

0 Kudos