VMware Cloud Community
kleinicus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recommended Database Recovery Model

I have a single Windows Server 2012 machine running MS SQL 2012. This server contains all of our databases for the vCloud infrastructure. As of now, all of the databases are using the Simple recovery model, except for the vCloud Director database which is using the Full recovery model. I was wondering what VMware recommends for this database, and if it's ok to switch it to Simple mode or not.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We typically recommend a Simple Recovery model, as other modes will tend to fill up the DB logs quickly.  Full should be fine for vCloud Director, except that it's rather chatty depending on your deployment.

The other part is that point in time recovery is hard because of dependencies on the vSphere state (if you had to recover it as well).

Backup is not only about vCloud, but anything else it would interact with in the environment.  If you consistently do full and delta backups for vCloud and vCenter at the same time, then there is less of an issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We typically recommend a Simple Recovery model, as other modes will tend to fill up the DB logs quickly.  Full should be fine for vCloud Director, except that it's rather chatty depending on your deployment.

The other part is that point in time recovery is hard because of dependencies on the vSphere state (if you had to recover it as well).

Backup is not only about vCloud, but anything else it would interact with in the environment.  If you consistently do full and delta backups for vCloud and vCenter at the same time, then there is less of an issue.

0 Kudos