VMware Cloud Community
msuvanto
Contributor
Contributor

RAM reservations in templates beyond Org RAM capacity?

How does template ram reservations play into allocation model limits.

Example: if I have 100 GB ram in resource. And have 12 vApps deployed each with 10GB ram reservations.

Does powered down vApp's count against the resource limit or just powered on?

So I could power on 10 of the vApps but the system should stop me from stating the 11th and so on. 
Can still deploy them?
Would they not deploy with 0MB in reservation at that point and If I wish to run them with reservation I need to redeploy when I have the resources freed up?

Wow, that's confusing.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Only powered on VMs/vAPPs will count towards the resource limit - so yesy you will be able to power on 10 of the VMs using 100GB of memory that is available -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
msuvanto
Contributor
Contributor

It would seem I can still deploy vApps with reservations beyond the resources, but when looking at the deployed VM's via vcenter they deploy with 0 RAM reservation.

Would I have to re-deploy them after i make some resources available?

Example:

I have 100GB RAM as resource. (My allocation model is reservation) I have deployed and powered on 9 vApps with 10GB ram reservations. I can keep deploying more of the same vApps with reservations as long as I dont power up one of them. If I power up one of them and deploy a vApp after that it would seem to deploy with 0MB reservation. However the previously deployed ones with 10GB reservation are fine. I just cant power them on.

Would this be expected behavior?

0 Kudos
tpanchal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Generally in Reservation Pool vm level reservation is set to 0 unless template has already reservation set.

You can refer page 16 http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vCloud_Director_Resource_Allocation-USLET.pdf

0 Kudos