VMware Cloud Community
QuadriaCC
Contributor
Contributor

Provider vdc and primary resource pool

Hi all,

is there a way to change the primary resource pool of a provider vdc ?

I need to delete my old clusters of ESXi and so I need to move the "primary" resource pool.

I found this  : " A system administrator can create a VMWProviderVdc or modify it to add or remove datastores, storage profiles, and resource pools, or change other properties such as its description. A system administrator cannot change the primary resource pool or vCenter server that was specified when the Provider vDC was created"

Thanks

Damien

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

Create a new provide VDC and relocate your workloads.

You can use the GUI to move workloads - and/or use the API as it has some methods like relocate that can in some situations work better.

VMware support might be able to come up with another plan, in theory it is just a few database locations that would need to be updated; but messing with the database like that is not normally advised.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

the GUI or API doesn't allow you to change the primary pool.  you can Expand or Contract by adding a new pool or removing a non-primary pool.  but you can't change the Primary pool of a Provider vDC.

What you would do, you'd remove any expansion pools, then make a new provider using whatever resources, then move the VMs to the new Provider.

0 Kudos