VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Provider Virtual Datacenters and ESXi Compute Clusters

I have 5 ESXi compute clusters, each with 10 ESXi servers in them.  Can I have more than one Provider Virtual Datacenter for a single ESXi Compute Cluster?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

A provider virtual datacenter (pVDC) links to one resource pool in a standard simple setup.  Many times that resource pool is the ROOT resource pool of a cluster, but it does not have to be.

You can expand your pVDC with "elastic pVDC" and link the provider to multiple resource pools (careful with this, you can't just move resources from one to the other to release one later)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Best practices say no, but you can.  When creating a provide vdc you are asked for a resource pool - most the time the cluster is selected, but if you have pre-created resource pools on this cluster you can select those.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK thanks.  So I would always have a one-to-one relationship then between one provider virtual datacenter and one compute cluster resource pool?

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

A provider virtual datacenter (pVDC) links to one resource pool in a standard simple setup.  Many times that resource pool is the ROOT resource pool of a cluster, but it does not have to be.

You can expand your pVDC with "elastic pVDC" and link the provider to multiple resource pools (careful with this, you can't just move resources from one to the other to release one later)

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK thanks

0 Kudos