VMware Cloud Community
Derrick888
Contributor
Contributor

One Vapp VMs disconnect from network randomly

Hi All,

I faced an issue that the VM in one Vapp disconnect from network randomly.

I had nothing touch the VM, but at random time, the VM will be disconnected which is windows 2012 server. the NIC is still being plugged and which cannot ping the gateway.

It can be solved by disable and enable the NIC. I cannot find the reason behind.

It is weird. no error can be found on vcenter and vcloud. Anyone can give a hand on it?

current platform

ESX 5.5

vcloud 5.5

vshield manager 5.5a

Thanks,

Derrick

0 Kudos
4 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

This isn't really a VCD question, more of an ESX or guest VM question.

In the guest VM, try edit the NIC, adapter configuration, and instead of auto-detecting the speed and duplex, set it to whatever it's supposed to be (i.e. full duplex and the correct speed).

If that doesn't help, try deleting the NIC and add a new one with a different NIC emulation (i.e. instead of E1000 try vmxnet3)

Derrick888
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks morpheus, let me try and update you the status.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

One thing to check (we had this issue a lot in the past)

if a host running a VM runs out of host DVS ports it will disconnect the nic, it will not ever reconnect until you go in vCenter and check the box.

Host->Configuration->Networking->DVS->Properties:: Maximum number of ports designated on this host.  (if the 256 default this is EASY to hit in a cloud).. we had to use 1024 to stop this issue for us. 

Not sure if it is the same issue, but this took a while to find when we hit it the first time.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Derrick888
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks cfor,

After change NIC emulation to VMXNET3 . the problem is seemed gone.

Thanks

0 Kudos