VMware Cloud Community
kp09
Contributor
Contributor

[Not resolved]Importing/Creating VM in vCloud Director sets the MAC address allocation to Static (instead of Automatic)

Hi,

We have in premises vCloud Director 9.5.0 environment.

Whenever we import VM in vSphere with MAC address allocation Automatic to vCloud Director, after successful import the VM's MAC address allocation gets changed to Static.

Before Import to vCloud Director

Created VM with Automatic MAC allocation in vSphere.png

Importing VM from vSphere to vCloud Director
pastedImage_8.png

After Importing to vCloud Director

pastedImage_12.png

Also, when we create new VM in vCloud Director, the MAC address allocation is set to Static(by default).

Is there any configuration in vCloud Director to enforce *Automatic* MAC address allocation?

This question is not answered yet.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
kp09
Contributor
Contributor

@VMware vCloud Director engineering/support team,

Is this expected behavior or bug? Is there any workaround to retain MAC address allocation Automatic of VM in vCenter even after importing to vCloud Director?

Note: We are running into duplicate MAC address problems due to Static MAC allocation in vCloud Director. Resetting MAC from vCloud Director GUI, solves duplicate MAC problem, however we expect MAC address allocation to remain Automatic even after importing to vCloud Director so that we don't have to manually reset MAC of imported VM.

0 Kudos
fcardarelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @kp09.

I'm experiencing the same issue in vCD 10.2, have you found any workaround or a confirmed bug with a support ticket?

Regards!

0 Kudos
jnivoit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You chose the "Copy VM" option, is it not normal that the VM imported into VCD (i.e. the copy of the original VM that is now under management by VCD) gets a new MAC?

0 Kudos
jnivoit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also please indicate the behavior you see when you pick the "Move VM" option (it's a badly named option, it really means that VCD takes over ownership of the VM and moves it in the target RP if necessary). I think in this case the VM should stay the same (i.e. VCD shouldn't change the MAC value or the "Automatic" mode on it).

0 Kudos
fcardarelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@jnivoitwe are adopting vms moving them into the VCD.

The MAC dup gets when we move that vm into a vAPP. Because when you adopt the vm it's not moved into a vAPP.

0 Kudos
jnivoit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm... now it's unclear to me.

When you say "we are adopting VMs" do you mean you use the auto-import feature of VCD (i.e. automatic discovery of VMs created directly in VC and placed into a RP backing a VCD orgVDC, where they are detected and imported into a shell vApp (which is not visible in H5, but it is present) ) ? Then you do a "move" operation (which REST API are you using to do this?) to move them into another vApp of your choice?

0 Kudos