VMware Cloud Community
thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

No resource pool were found for vCenter

Hi,

I am working with vCD 1.5. When setting up vCD 1.5, I've attached a vCenter. However, when setting up pVDC, I got an error, "No resource pools were found for vCenter ..."

At this point, I have 4 ESX servers being registered in vCenter. Why none of the ESX server is under Resource Pool?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
pic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you actually created a resource pool yet? 

With vSphere client connected to vCenter, create a DRS cluster and put the hosts in the cluster.  Then create at least one resource pool and you will be able to create your Provider vDC.

0 Kudos
Todor_Todorov
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You can also use the root resource pool of the cluster (which is automatically created with the cluster) without creating any child resource pools. Also note that if a resource pool is being used in a provider vDC, then none of its children can be used for the creation of another provider vDC. If you want to create multiple provider vDCs from a single cluster, then you'll have to use child resource pools.

Regards,

Todor Todorov

0 Kudos
warriorfullight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it should be working just find once you have created a resource pool  right. human error is normal for some of us that don't have techie mind  inside. try to check the procedures on doing it and make sure you have  done it right.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

Make sure DRS is enabled on your cluster.  It won't find anything until DRS is enabled.

0 Kudos
dcorpas
Contributor
Contributor

DRS is set to fully automated, a resource pool has been created for the cluster. The vCloud console is reporting that the vCenter server is syncing but never completes.  The hosts and vcenter are all at vsphere 5, any thoughts besides the obvious.

ps there are no firewalls in place between the vCenter server, hosts and vCloud mgmt server

thanks

0 Kudos
dcorpas
Contributor
Contributor

There is an internal fix through VMware support but is not public. please call vmware support for the patch

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

DRS doesn't need to be fully automated, as it can be set to manual during service windows on the hosts.

Setting DRS to manual mode will allow you do bypass failover requirements and only have a single ESX host out of Maintenance Mode ... this is key because setting to Manual Mode will not delete resource pools (which would happen if you turn DRS off).

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
clos80
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the attached evaluation guide to install and set up vCloud Director.

The problem is that with the evaluation licenses I can't enable DRS and, as consequence, I don't have any resurces pool when I create a vDC. Even if under vCenter Server I've 2 ESXi 5.0 hosts.

Did I do something wrong??

0 Kudos
aigiorgi
Contributor
Contributor

Same  problem happen to me

I'm following strictly the steps of the vCloud director admin guide

This is a bug!!!

At this moment I can't create a new resource pool from the vCenter (greyed option) and I can't to add the new provider vDC

0 Kudos
aigiorgi
Contributor
Contributor

I repeted the lab once more, but this time I created the resource pools and storage profiles I need before I began the vCloud Director config

In my previous lab I defined the resources in each step of the wizard and this probably is wrong

Thats was the only thing I've changed

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

If your evaluation license does not include DRS, then you can't move forward because the code specifically requires DRS to perform it's functionallity.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Does your vSphere licensing allow for DRS?

0 Kudos