VMware Cloud Community
Retcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network disconnect after deploying vApp

Hey guys,

I've some trouble deploying vApps with our vCloud Director.

The vApps are deployed fine, but the NIC is not connect. And even if I try this manual it is not possible.

An idea/solution for this behavior?

This is the error message in vCloud Director:

NIC's connected status modified.

Kind regards

Retcher

0 Kudos
5 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Your switch is out of ports

Add more ports

Retcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here some information about my environment. 2 hosts, with 6 nics per host, 2 nics of every host are attached to a standard vSwitch for management and the management VMs, 2 nics of every host are attached to an other standard vSwitch for NFS Storage connection. The last 2 nics per host are attached to the distributed vSwitch.

If I deploy a new vApp with 7 VMs, and choose that this should be fenced. The vCloud Director creates a new Portgroup with 10 Ports and static binding.

So only 2 port left on this port group.

What I notice is that only VMs on one of my two hosts got link.

Does anyone know the name of the protocoll/feature/technology that is used for cloud-isolation-networks?

0 Kudos
nirvy
Commander
Commander

You should see errors in vCenter when deploying a vApp if you've run out of vDS ports, it will be something like A general system error occurred: vDS host error: see faultCause. Note that by default each host is limited to 256 ports, but this can be increased if you need to use more. Check the current port configuration + how many ports you are currently using by running the following in the CLI on each of your resource hosts:

net-dvs | grep "max ports"
net-dvs | grep '.*port [0-9]*:.*' | wc -l

You can change the setting by going to Hosts and Clusters > your resource host > Configuration > Networking > vSphere Distributed Switch and then click Properties next to the relevant vDS. It requires a reboot though!

0 Kudos
Retcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is my output of the both commands:

CommandHost 1Host 2
net-dvs | grep "max ports"256256
net-dvs | grep '.*port [0-9]*:.*' | wc -l811

So I think there should be no problem.

We have testes vCloud Director a few months/years ago in our lab environment and have had trouble with the network too. What we did there is switching to VLAN backed network pools. But before I can switch in the production environment, the network admin wants to known which technology is used, if vCloud Director is using cloud isolate networks.

Does anyone of you know a more specific description then MAC-in-MAC encapsulation?

Kind regards

Retcher

0 Kudos
Retcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I solved the problem. One of my host had had some problems deploying vApps, only on this host the NIC was disconnected.

After disableing and reenabling the host, everything works fine. Also I've switch my MTU to 8000 Byte, after talking to the network admin.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Retcher

0 Kudos